Chapter 24 - Walks and talks

Narrator's POV

"We're glad you're joining us for dinner, Y/N." 

The Y/E/C-eyed girl shot Lynne a smile as she helped her set up the table. "I should be thanking you for having me."

Mama Cimorelli glanced over at her husband, who was already sitting by the table. The two of them shared a worried look. Y/N has been dating their daughter for a couple of weeks now, and honestly, she seemed like a great girl, so they got nothing against her. Today was Christmas eve, and although all their children's significant other was invited over for dinner tonight, they just didn't really expect to see Y/N here too. I mean, most of the boyfriend and girlfriends are adults, so like, it's normal for them to be not necessarily spending this evening at home. But Lauren's girlfriend was still a high school kid, so... shouldn't she be with her family or something?

Also, the Y/E/C-eyed girl seemed to be over at theirs a lot. Not that they mind her company, but it was just kinda odd. 

While Lynne returned back to the kitchen with Y/N in tow, Mike called Lauren over to him. The raven-haired girl gave him a confused look at how secretively he's being but just shrugged it off. 

"Yeah, dad?" 

Mike looked around to see if Y/N was nearby before he gestured for Lauren to come closer. "How is Y/N's bond with her family?"

The raven-haired girl shook her head. "She doesn't like to talk about her family. Why?"

"Your mom noticed that when she asked Y/N about her parents earlier, she was being really weird about it. So we're just a little worried."

Lauren raised her eyebrows at that. Sure, she's noticed how awkward Y/N gets whenever she talked about home, but she figured it was nothing too serious. Some people just don't like to talk about personal stuff. But, looks like it might be kinda more serious. She made a mental note to ask her about it later. 

"Alright, dinner's ready!"

And soon, everybody was sitting together by the dining table, which counted like, 17 people in total. And only four of the kids had brought their significant other with them, imagine if everyone here had a date with them tonight. 

And even with so many people by the table, Y/N still got lucky enough to be sitting right across from Lisa. 

Lauren has to be severely blind to not see the looks her girlfriend and her sister are exchanging, but her being herself decided it's better to just pretend that that's the actual case. 

It wasn't even that Lisa and Y/N are exchanging loving, flirty glances at each other or something. Lisa was literally looking at her with guilt mixed with something else, and Y/N was just plainly looking awkward every time they catch eyes.

But of course, Lauren would choose to ignore this. 

-

"Wanna go for a walk?"

Lauren stood up from her seat and grabbed Y/N's hand in hers, gently swaying it back and forth. Dinner finished just a second ago, though most people had already left the table.

"Sure," Y/N said and let the raven-haired girl drag her to grab their jackets and out of the house.

It was already all dark outside, the sky was clear from all stars with only the moon visible, the streets were quiet and only illuminated by the street lights. This was the definition of peacefulness. Maybe it would've been better if the stars hanging up there were actually visible, but that could be too much to ask for a street with so many street lights.