He's Gone: 2 Sep. 1971

Regulus Arcturus Black was shaking slightly, even though the screams were not directed at him. He was hiding behind the door frame leading into the kitchen, not daring to look into the room.

He had an idea what was going on in there. He could envision his mother, Walburga Black, sitting at the table, and his father Orion Black standing behind her, leaning over her shoulder to read the letter in her hand.

The day just kept getting worse and worse. It was the second day of September, and the first day Regulus had woken up to his own accord, and not his older brother, Sirius, jumping on the edge of his bed. When the morning owl came, Regulus decided to just head to his room and wait for his mother to tell him what Sirius had written later. That was until she let out an ear piercing screech.

That was why Regulus was hiding behind the door frame, he was way too afraid to move from his position. What had Sirius written to make his mother make such a noise?

"GRYFFINDOR? GRYFFINDOR, ORION? OUR SON, OUR HEIR IS A GRYFFINDOR?"

Regulus took a deep breath. Whatever he was expecting in that letter, Sirius being a Gryffindor was not one of them.

"GET MY STUFF FOR A HOWLER, ORION! I'M GOING TO MAKE THAT BOY REGRET THE DAY HE WAS BORN!"

Regulus hadn't realized he was crying until he felt the hot tears streaming down his face.

"REGULUS! WHERE'S REGULUS!" Regulus wiped the tears off his face and walked into the kitchen. His parents were exactly how he imagined them, Walburga hunched over the letter, and Orion peering over her shoulder.

"Regulus, what house would you like to be in next year?" Orion asked his youngest son, but his gaze made Regulus know he didn't have a choice in the matter.

"S...S...Slytherin, father." He stuttered out.

His father gave him a small smile, "Right you are, Regulus. Now off to your room, your mother and I have to send a... letter... to your brother." He said the last word with such distaste that it sent shivers down Regulus's spine.

He ran to his room, feeling the tears starting to flow again as he collapsed on his bed. He curled up in a small ball on his bed, keeping his head between his knees.

"Siri... Siri... Why are you leaving me, Siri." Regulus said in barely a whisper. He was only ten, but he knew, he knew all so well what was in store for his brother.

Regulus had no idea that the day before had been the last time his brother would wake him up, the last time his brother would say 'I love you', the last time his name wasn't said with a sneer, the last time they had a civil conversation, the last time they had been brothers.