I'm a Disgrace: 3 Sep. 1971

"Mate, I think you got a howler."

Sirius Orion Black could only nod. He looked at his new best friend, James Potter, who had just spoken. He looked at the letter in horror. "What do I do?" He whispered.

"You have to open it, my dad told me they explode if you don't." Another of his new friends, Remus Lupin, answered.

"What do you mean they explode, Remus?" The final boy in his new friend group, Peter Pettigrew, asked.

"I mean, Peter, that they explode. You know, boom?" Remus replied as if it were obvious. "When you said your parents would be disappointed in you getting Gryffindor, I didn't really believe it until now."

James nodded, "I agree. Come on, it can't be that bad." He reasoned.

"That's because you've never met my mother," Sirius said sourly. He finally ripped open the envelope, and it floated in front of him, screaming louder than he thought was possible.

"SIRIUS ORION BLACK III! HOW DARE YOU, HOW DARE YOU! GETTING SORTED INTO GRYFFINDOR GRYFFINDOR! I AM ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED! YOU BETTER GET YOUR ASS RESORTED INTO SLYTHERIN, BOY! YOU'RE A DISGRACE TO THE FAMILY NAME!"

As the letter ripped itself up, he caught his older cousin, Narcissa's, gaze at the Slytherin Table. The sixth year, seemed to not care about her younger cousin's misfortune, and broke his gaze rather quickly.

Unable to handle the looks anymore, Sirius abruptly stood up, and looked towards the staff table, where the teachers were looking at him. "I'm done!" He said sternly, looking around to see if anyone dared to contradict him, "If you don't mind, I'd like to stay in Gryffindor!" He added, before turning and marching out of the hall.

James, Remus, and Peter gave each other worried glances, and almost in unison stood up and followed Sirius out of the hall.

They found him in the Common Room, sitting cross-legged on the floor, staring into an unlit fireplace. James reacted first, he crouched down next to Sirius, and pulled him into a hug.

Peter sat next to Sirius on the other side, and gave him a reassuring smile. Remus, by far the most uncomfortable in the social situation, did all he could think of. He reached into his pocket, pulled out a chocolate frog, and handed it to Sirius.

Sirius muttered a thanks, and Remus smiled awkwardly, and sat down too.

"Sirius..." James began slowly. Sirius looked up at the other boy, "Is your family always like that?"

Sirius nodded, "They've been like that longer than I could remember. My older cousin, Andromeda, was disowned last month for dating a mud..." He stopped himself from saying the word, remembering their reaction the night before, "...muggle-born."

Remus shifted uncomfortably, "It's awful that people think like that. I mean, my mum's a muggle."

Sirius gave him a reassuring smile, "If I learned anything in the last three days, it's that I should disregard everything I ever learned for the last eleven years, and make my own choices."

Peter frowned, "So you're going to give up your family just like that?"

Sirius shrugged, "The only decent ones are my cousin Andy, who's disowned, my Uncle Alphard, and my little brother Regulus. If you had a family like mine, you'd give them up, just like that." He looked at his wrist watch, "It's almost time for Transfiguration, and I don't want the teachers to think me being here is a mistake and put me into Slytherin, so let's go."

And he made his way in haste to the Transfiguration classroom, looking behind for barely a second to make sure that James, Remus, and Peter were following closely behind.