「 𝟐 」

Jimin rubs his temples, slamming his fist onto his pristine white table, making his stationery jump. Glancing over to the empty table across the room, he wished he was back home too, taking a bubble bath or relaxing on his sofa watching the rain fall. It was horribly cold, with the air-conditioning in the building fogging up the windows, making the view outside blurred.

He'd just finished a surgery and decided not to go home, in case he was called in yet again. His buttery-blonde hair was a little ruffled from running his hand through it way too many times, his pink lips thankfully hydrated from constantly drinking water. But inside he felt like he could collapse any moment.

Suddenly, the door opened. The person he didn't want to see deposited his coat quickly and exited, Jimin still glaring at him even after he left.

Kim Taehyung. The person he secretly loathed, although it was pretty blatant in real life.

His black Gucci coat was draped over his chair, and so was his huge phone and Gucci watch. That man was practically made of Gucci.

Jimin himself wore an expensive white collared shirt, but it was slightly translucent so it showed the outline of his biceps and back. His black pants were bought from who-knows-where in Italy, where he'd gone for a conference a long time ago. A three hundred dollar black tie contrasted his white shirt, and was slightly creased due to his posture.

His phone vibrated.

"Incoming call from National Hospital of Seoul."

"Park Jimin speaking." He tried to muster a little energy, but he was so drained he gave up.

"We need assistance for an open heart surgery, sir. Irregular heartbeat is detected, and we fear a risk of blood clot in the patient."

"I'll be there." He ended the call and stood up wearily, cracking his back and knuckles. The thoughts before were forgotten as he put on his gear and was brought to the operating theatre.

The other surgeon was busy tying a tiny blood vessel of the heart, entirely focused on his task such that he didn't even look up when Jimin came in. The nurse informed him that it was yet another open heart surgery, but the patient didn't seem to be in a stable condition.

"Sir, the... the cardiopulmonary bypass machine generator is malfunctioning!" A nurse cries out, and Jimin quickly looks on.

"Ducking god, no." Jimin immediately sets to work. This kind of machine failing at this time was the rarest ever, and it usually led to an electrical failure. A bad, bad time.

"You, come here. Finish up the rest of the arteries, I'll settle the machine." The other man got up, and Jimin hurried over to start stitching the minuscule arteries up.

"The machine's shutting down. The power socket's being interrupted. The anesthetic machine, lights, and monitors are still functional. The console of the pump shows no power supply." The surgeon reported, standing up.

"Patient's core temperature is 34 degrees." The nurse said, "I'll replace the sockets. This requires hand-cranking."

Jimin focused on tying the blood vessels just the way he'd always done, with a steady hand and sharp eye.

"Done." He shifted his gaze to the patient. And noticed something very, very wrong.

His veins were swollen.

"Blood clot." Jimin raised his voice and the other surgeon quickly came. Indeed, there was a blood clot but they had no idea if it had spread to the brain.

"Do the necessary." Jimin nodded at the other's instructions, despite the pain in his leg, the sore of his back, and the pounding headache. He had to save someone else.

- // -

The surgery wore on for another five hours. Thankfully, the blood clot was detected early and was soon stopped. The patient was wheeled out of the theatre and Jimin was just taking off his gloves when a sudden dizziness hit him right in the head. His vision was sparked with white spots and before he knew it, his eyes flew shut and he collapsed like a house of cards onto the floor.

The surgeon that stood to the side of the room was packing up the instruments, and heard a thump on the floor. Turning around, he paled and ran over to see if Jimin was alright.

"Pulse detected. He's fainted." He whispered to himself, then quickly removed Jimin's coat, his mask and then his own. Running a hand through his orangey-blonde hair, he soon realised who this was all this while.

Park Jimin.