「 𝟑𝟏 」

His phone shivered.

Assuming it was just yet another case for him take, his index long finger swiped right to receive the call.

"Hello?"

"Son." Taehyung clamped his hand over his mouth to stifle a scream.

No.

It couldn't be.

There was no way.

"Taehyung?" His father's old voice spoke again.

Taehyung fell back into his sofa, fear and shock seizing him all at once. Tears came to his eyes and flowed out, his mind spinning.

"Are you there?"

"Y-yes." He shakily whispered.

Wasn't he dead?

He was informed of his father's death five long years ago.

This was a dream, he was sure of it.

"Who are you?" He demanded, trying to control his nerves. His heart drummed against his sternum, the growing tightness refusing to leave.

"Why? What's wrong Tae? It's me, your father." The very voice belong to his father, he knew. But he couldn't have been talking if he was dead.

"N-no! You're dead!" Taehyung shouted, squeezing his eyes and shaking his head violently. "Y-you had a heart attack."

"I'm not Tae, who are you kidding? I'm in Daegu, where are you?"

How is this possible? Has he revived somehow?

"Tae. Talk to me." The familiar stern voice cane again, evoking a string of memories when his child self had stolen a piece of candy to eat before dinner and had refused to tell the truth.

"You're dead. Gone." He kept repeating, unable to muster any other words. "Dad, don't scare me like this."

"Kim Taehyung, I'm very much alive. Why else would I be calling you? Don't joke with me now." His father grumbled, and Taehyung's mind couldn't receive any other information.

My father is alive.

Dad isn't dead.

"H-how? I thought you were gone."

"I did suffer a heart attack, but I didn't die, Tae. Whoever told you that must have lied."

"B-but you- you are supposed to b-be in jail."

"Tae."

Taehyung knew, he should have been in his father's place. His father never killed his mother. He did.

"I'm sorry, Dad." He choked out, "I'm so, so sorry."

"It's okay, darling. Where are you? I've been released some time ago and the house is empty."

"I-In Seoul, Dad."

"Seoul?! How?"

"I'm working, Dad. I have a job. I'm a surgeon. As you always wanted me to be." The faded memories of him aspiring to be an artist, mixed with the pride of fulfilling his father's dream made him cry even more.

"I... I'm so proud of you, son." His father sighed, a deep breath emitting from the phone. "You're so far away, how do I find you?"

"I... I'll take leave and visit you there, Dad. Don't worry. I'll text my boss later to tell him."

"Really? That's amazing. Alright, I'll still be there, in that old house." The old man chuckled, and Taehyung couldn't help it but his heart ached at the familiarity.