「 𝟒𝟎 」

"Well, who are you?"

Taehyung rubbed his arms awkwardly, wondering why a random stranger would come up to him and hug him just like that. And what was with those pet names?

"You... you don't know who I am?" There was a silence, and Jimin's continuously shattered heart was pulverised by life's seemingly normal attempts at damaging it.

"No...? Do I know you then?" The taller placed an arm behind his back, and held another out in a handshake. "Nice to meet you..."

What's my name again?

Jimin's shivering grip took it, after the brief pause where their hands linked, he snatched it away at such a speed that made Taehyung sway forward. He hadn't even let the taller feel his hand before he cradled his hands in his chest, feeling the after-effects of remembering.

Is he scared of me or something? Taehyung frowned, am I a monster?

Jimin cursed at life for having no warnings when he stepped forward in time and there were gaps he would fall into, break himself, and try to crawl out again. It was stupid, but he felt as if he was the only one who couldn't see those holes in front of him.

He didn't know whether to feel joy, anguish or numb anymore.

"Are you alright?" The polite voice made Jimin miss Taehyung, yet cry hard because he didn't know anything. Whether the future would pry to two apart, or take one of them away.

"You... really d-don't remember me?" Jimin's watery eyes looked up at Taehyung's, and the latter sensed how afraid, scarred his expression was.

"I don't know. I... I just..." Deep lines appeared over his forehead, as he struggled to express himself. His brain still a mushy, disoriented mess. "I don't even know who I am."

Jimin broke the eye contact, deciding between two possible options. But there were actually none— seeing Taehyung like this would only curse him more. What happened to his will to get back his beloved? Create a happy shelter for the two to live in despite the trips and falls?

"Your name... is Kim Taehyung." The elder exhaled, calming himself. "You're a surgeon."

"Surgeon..." Taehyung muttered, and a vague bump appeared in his memory. "Oh, I think I know that."

Stickers, scalpels, singeing.

The little puzzle piece gradually floated back into the missing gap, fitting itself firmly in place. Taehyung nodded, feeling enlightened.

"You're my boss. Jeon Jungkook is your junior, Park Jihoon is mine. Kim Seokjin is your boss, Kim Namjoon is his boyfriend. Jung Hoseok and Min Yoongi are your friends." He said slowly, enough for Taehyung to register all that.

Ticking off his fingers, he nodded for him to go on.

"You work in this hospital."

After taking note of the basic details of his life, Jimin felt the urge to back out of the room as quickly as he entered. If he'd forgotten everything, it meant the love was gone too.

Although Jimin still loved him, and it would stay that way forever. But forcing someone who'd just awoken from coma was not a good idea.

"Hey, please stay." Taehyung's arms were outstretched in a gesture to stop Jimin from leaving his side.

"N-No, I'm going to call the nurse in to check on you." Jimin shut the door behind him, and Taehyung's hands fell limply on his bed.