Game Day

Today was the final game of the season, if we win this We win the world cup. Fancy that England Women winner of the world cup 2021. I lead the team out to the Twickenham Pitch, my heart racing. The crowd was one of the biggest I've ever played in front of. This is the first season since I've known for our team to even be in the final. This world cup we really kicked ass. I couldn't be prouder of the team. 

The game kicked off and oh my what a dirty game it turned to be. 5 minutes remaining and we needed a try to beat this team. I got a cut on my head, cheek and my knees were grazed, normal rugby injuries right? My white shirt was no longer white. I dont normally get injured that much but I could feel my head pounding and the pitch spinning a few times. As long as it's not concussion I'm all good, ill have to solider on like a true captain. Should I get a head assessment? No, I've got to get the team through the game. some how I still managed to score a try, only my third this season. Suppose perks of being the fly half! Normally Abbi would get most the tries. We got closer and closer to the try line. Every attempt got hit back. This team was a lot stronger than ours, even heavier in weight.  2 minutes to go we can do this. I kept watching the clock. My heart was racing and with every heart beat my head pounded with it.

I held back, as a pile of women formed just on top of our try line. This has to be it! The referee ran round the pile leaving the stadium in pure silence, I could hear my own heart beat racing waiting for the decision. The whistle blew and I looked up to find all the england team jumping around our try scorer, good old Abbi Wood. Best try scorer we have. The whole team erupted in cheers as the stadium did - perks of playing at home. The fans are there to support you every step of the way.

I realised this meant if I miss this conversion I lost us the game. No pressure, if we get this we would win by three points. My heart was racing, the sweat was pouring out quicker than I could wipe it. My team mates ran past 'you've got this' it was an easy target straight down the middle. But the wind was strong. What happens if I miss? Our chance of winning lies all on this kick. My pounding head didnt help my concentration.

The ball was lined up, I was lined up. All ready to go. I studied the post and the ball intensely, deep breathes I told myself. Easy target. I crouched, then took my steps 1 step 2 step 3 step kick. As soon I kicked the ball I shut my eyes. The whole stadium was silent. I have missed havent I? I've let the team down. The few seconds the ball took to fly through the air felt like hours. Why didn't I take more time to take the kick? Did I rush the kick? I've been a let down to the whole squad and country. I started to beat myself up. 

I felt my body lift off the ground. When I opened my eyes my team mates were holding me in the air. The score board ticked over. 30-28. We won. Our first world cup as a team. Our coach ran over to us and joined in the team hug and celebrations. The rest of the team from the bench joined as We all jumped around like children. The other team came over and shook our hands and slowly walked off the pitch, leaving us still celebrating! 

I looked to the crowd as they were mirroring our celebrations. Of course our crowd wasnt that big compared to the mens rugby team. I double taked on a certain spot of the stadium. I froze, Owen Farrell was watching my rugby game? Why was he here? Why would he have any interest in womens rugby? But no wife next to him? Oliver had the biggest smile on his face. He was in Owen's arms. He caught me looking and Oliver waved and I waved back.

We went for the team photo holding the cup. Of course being the captain meant I had to be the receiver of the cup. I couldnt believe it, the season paid off. Champagne was flying everywhere, a mix between the smell of champagne and sweat. Who could beat it? The sweet smell of victory.

I looked up again and he was gone. Was I just imagining it? Maybe I'm too hung up on coaching Oliver and the win that I'm hallucinating.

We all went to shower and change, the changing rooms were the noisiest they've ever been since our first game of the season. We did it, we finally did it.

This was a story to tell the kids at practice!