二十

"So let me get this straight," Yeonjun said as he followed them through the streets, "There are a bunch of people like us and we need to find them?"

"Yep."

"Cool."

Jisu sighed, "Also, the government would like to kill us. "

Yeonjun snorted. "Don't they want to kill everyone."

"This is gonna be a long day."

"A long week actually."

"Great."

"Where to now captain?" Kai asked Taehyun, draping his arm over the other's shoulder. "Okay, first of all, don't call me captain, and secondly, actually not that far I think. By any chance," Taehyun said, turning to Yeonjun, "Is there a park near here?" The older nodded, pointing in the direction they were heading. The three boys led the way, Taehyun flipping through the notebook and checking the map, Jisu and Yuna lagging behind. Jisu studied the younger, then said simply, not judgingly, "You've taken off some jewelry." Yuna flushed, and replied quietly, "Well, it is hard to walk around with dangling earrings and so many rings." She twisted one on her pinky finger anxiously. "That's a pretty ring," Jisu commented. Yuna looked proud, and said, "Doesn't it? I got it from my favourite-" She faltered, when she remembered that she had tricked the employee into selling it to her. "I mean, it is a pretty, uh, ring," She patched up weakly. Jisu just nodded, and they continued to walk in silence.

-

The park was wide and beautiful, and Taehyun really appreciated all the nature. But what he was more interested in was the thread. He scanned the area for any signs of that shimmering line. Yeonjun stood alert, observing every single person that walked past them. Yuna and Jisu ducked into shade and sat there quietly. Kai tried to talk to a duck.

"What are you looking for?" Yeonjun asked, bemused at Taehyun's antics. "I have this thing that lets me see threads connected to gifteds. The gifteds I have to find," He explained. A ghost of a smile hovered on Yeonjun's lips. "So do I have a thread going through me?" He asked, staring down at his stomach like there was a string there. Taehyun exhaled lightly. "No, we found you, so you don't have one."

Then he perked up. "There," Taehyun breathed, his eyes fixed on a girl seated on a bench. Yeojun raised an eyebrow. "Hwang Yeji? Interesting." "You know her?" "Not really, just by name." Taehyun hummed lightly. Kai was trying to pet the duck.

"I'm gonna try and talk to her," Taehyun decided. "Want me to come along? She may freak less if-" "Sure."

They barely got three metres near her before Yeji whipped her head over with a terror-stricken expression. In a ring around her was a patch of withered grass. "Are you okay?" Taehyun asked with concern. Her mouth dropped open, but not because she wanted to say something, instead she was gaping at her withered grass-except it wasn't withered-it was growing back fresh and green, shoots wriggling up eagerly and clamouring to the bright sunlight. "What the-" Yeonjun backed off slowly. "You did that, didn't you," Taehyun gestured to the withered grass. "Are you doing that?" Yeji retorted, standing abruptly. "Yes, I am, I'm like you, we're like you-" "Not convincing at all, my friend," Yeonjun put in helpfully. But Yeji had latched on to his words. She paused for a while, then said softly, "If...if you're like me, you can help me, right? Help me stop this? I don't know what the hell is going on, I swear, I nearly killed someone today, if this is really my doing." The two boys stopped.

"You...what?"

Yeji shook her head helplessly.

"I don't know, but everyone and everything ages around me. This old lady...she walked past me, and I saw her grow paler and paler. If they hadn't taken her away, I...I could have killed her."

Taehyun nodded. "You have to come with us."

Yeji was silent. "Only to figure out how to use my...thing. I can't leave forever. I'll be with you for a few days and that's it."