二十七

"Are we in danger?" Yeji asked as they rushed out of the house. "What's your ability?" Yuna intercepted. The girl uncurled her palm, where a glass pendant sat. "Glass manipulation. I bring this around everywhere I go. I try to carry around as much glass as possible but it's really heavy sometimes." Her other hand grasped a pole of glass which she had gathered. "From the houses nearby. They've left, everyone, because most of the people here were tested positive." Jisu looked at her in awe, "That's really cool." Chaeryeong shifted her weight to her left foot, adjusting fingerless leather gloves on her hand. "Thanks," She said simply, "But we need to move. They'll be searching the area for right about now, and we'll-" "They're searching for us?" Kai asked. Chaeryeong scoffed, "Don't think so highly of yourself. They're searching for any gifted." "Great," Taehyun decided, "We need to find one last girl, then we can go-"

"Check there!"

Everyone bit back swear words, and Taehyun gestured frantically to the others, "We need to go." "Roger that captain." "I said-"

"I found some kids!"

All nine of them immediately tensed up as glaring spotlights are pinned onto them.

"Put your hands in the air!"

Kai muttered to Taehyun, "What do you suggest?"

"Don't hurt them, just try to get away."

The earth below them rumbled and quaked, pushing the humans back, an unused water pipe breaking in the process. Water shot out of the pipes and was quickly shaped into a semicircle, which held the humans down. "Run!" Taehyun shouted (once more), and the eight dashed deeper into the forest. A volley of bullets were released, and they crouched down behind trees. "Why do they always use bullets?" Yuna whined. Yeji failed to duck down in time and toppled to the ground as her shoulder was punctured and bleeding. Yeonjun caught her, pulling her back before his penetrating glare seemed to drill into the human's heads as they collapsed to the ground, limp and unmoving. Everyone stared at Yeonjun with horror or shock, except for Kai, who rushed to Yeji's side.

"Oh no, okay, I can handle this, just gonna-"

As Kai handled Yeji, Jisu clenched her fist, "We told him not to hurt them." Yuna pursed her lips, "They were gonna hurt us." "We didn't have to kill them," Jisu whispered. Gingerly, Yuna held Jisu's hand, "Are you okay?" The older brushed her eyes, "I'm so used to being threatened, but seeing someone die...It could have been prevented." She coughed. "Sorry, I just...my mother was killed on purpose, her death could have been prevented. That's why I hate hurting people, only if they hurt those I care about. "

Yeonjun overheard, flicking his head to the two girls he spat out, "So I should have let those men live? I should have told you, these guys, these humans, they're ruthless. They would have killed us either way, might as well-"

"Yeonjun," Yeji murmured hoarsely. The boy turned abruptly, kneeling down at her side. "I'm okay," She said, "Thank you."