三十六

"Maybe we shouldn't have broken the window," Yeji said as they ran across the campgrounds.

"So should we have taken the stairs?" Kai questioned, holding Yuna in his arms.

"It would have been a bit more...civilised."

"We literally sleep on the forest floor. How is that civilised?"

"Priorities, guys?" Jisu reminded them.

"Kill or no?" Yeonjun asked.

"So murderous," Yeji chortled.

"No," Jisu replied hurriedly.

"Oh, they're closing the gate," Yeji remarked calmly.

"And also guarding it heavily."

"Who wants to go first?"

"I'll go," Taehyun decided. He ran forward and the ground shook, the soldiers losing their balance and falling down. When they started firing at random, wind swirling around them. The humans were encased in cocoons of air, and they watched as their terrified faces bleached emotionless and unmoving.

"Did you kill them?" Yeonjun asked, mildly intrigued.

"No, I didn't, let's go, I think I ran out of air today."

-

When they returned to camp, Chaeryeong was up, sipping water and looking pale but otherwise okay. Pure relief spread across Beomgyu's face as he ran up to his twin. Yuna opened her eyes weakly as if she had been sleeping.

"What happened?" She murmured.

"What do you remember?"

"They took me in the helicopter, put me in the cell, then this boy came up and that's all I remember."
Jisu sighed, "That would be Wonwoo. I wish we could help him and his friends."

"We'll worry about that later," Taehyun said, "I think the island is nearby."

-

They reached the edge of the forest, heavy mist obscured their vision, and to the humans, it seemed like a very misty swamp-like place.

"The island is behind the mist," Taehyun guessed.

"So...we go in? What's behind the mist exactly?"

"Well, let's find out."