六十六

Taehyun had no idea where he was going. All that went through his mind was that he had to get the hell out of there. Where? His brain asked. Anywhere, he replied, as long as I can get away. He could barely feel his legs, but he could see the surroundings blur and change rapidly, so he could tell he was running. He could tell that the nature around him was alive, yes, but today they sounded louder than normal as if they were screaming and moaning in his ears. Finally, his body couldn't take it, and he collapsed in a pathetic heap. His lungs were so drained and exhausted, so he spent a while taking in deep shuddering breaths.

When he could breathe properly, he propped himself up and looked around.

The lush greenery of the forest still surrounded him, calming and soothing, but now also suffocating and confusing to Taehyun. He used to find solace in nature-he was linked to it, after all,-but now, it was like a tangled net.

And that one word still rang in his head.

Monster

Repeating over and over and over and-

"Hey kid," A familiar voice said gently. Taehyun's head jerked up and was met with the warm smile of Jimin.

"How-how did you get here?" Taehyun choked out.

Jimin's smile barely faltered. "I saw the nuclear burst and then you came sprinting out like your pants were on fire."

A hot flush spread over Taehyun's cheeks, from embarrassment and shame. Then he looked up at Jimin, "Did-did she die?" Jimin cocked his head, "Who? I don't know, I simply ran after you once I got Yanan safe. Just, you know, make sure you'd be okay." With that, the older crouched down beside Taehyun. "So what's on your mind?"

Taehyun shrugged, "Just...bad thoughts, bad memories."

Jimin gave a comforting smile, "I love listening to memories. It's so therapeutic to hear someone release all their sorrows, and maybe let go of them too."

Taehyun bit his lip, holding back what could be a laugh or a sob. "I...," Taehyun hung his head, "I'm so damn tired, actually."

Jimin pursed his lips, "Yeah, I'll punch Yoongi for you later."

Taehyun shook his head, tears welling up lightly, "It's not...it's not just him, it's not entirely his fault. It's just...I really loved having a family. But I want to put this all behind me. Forget about my powers, forget about all these quests, just try to start over."

Nodding slowly, Jimin pondered for a moment before saying soothingly, "Close your eyes, and hold those memories in your head for three seconds, then let them go." Taehyun shook his head hopelessly but let his eyes flutter shut. As Taehyun drifted off, he was brought back in time, rather unwillingly, to when he was just a boy.

-

There was only so much you could do in a rental flat, small and cramped. Taehyun learnt that after having spent years crammed into his room, with only books as company. You could only read a book so many times before they become dull and boring. But what could he do? His divorced parents were constantly working, his mother pursuing her acting career and his father bent over his writing desk writing books after books. A simple life, actually. But that wasn't what Taehyun wanted. He was a child, wasn't he? Filled with curiosity itching to break loose. So he picked up useful skills, such as lock-picking to get out of the locked windows, and sleight of hands, to steal lying banknotes on the kitchen table. He learnt that the fire escape staircase was only a leap away from his bedroom window and that it was reliable and easy to use. Once he had escaped, he was free, wasn't he? Quickly, he knew the streets like the back of his hand, he could get around easily, know where to go and when if you wanted to see a sunset or a busker performing. And he met a little girl. She too had escaped her home, slinking through the streets for a taste of freedom. They worked together, bought ice creams from an old cheerful seller and climbed up quiet rooftops. It was nice. She had a lovely, entrancing voice that you could never forget and a beautiful name that he couldn't recall. They had a fixed meeting time and place, and they never strayed from that. One day she didn't come. Taehyun waited and waited but she didn't come. Disappointed, he returned home, only to see plumes of smoke wafting from his flat's window.

His father didn't make it. He learned, later, that the neighbours tried to save him, but all he wanted was to get into his son's locked bedroom to save him. Taehyun wasn't in his room. He had locked the door which ultimately led to his father's pitiful demise. It was all his fault.

-

His mother put on a good show for the media, crinkly tissues catching forced tears, wailing fakely and disappearing from the public eye, only to turn to her fancy dinner and fancy clothes and fancy life. And her fancy new family. Taehyun couldn't take it. So he left. Saved up enough money to survive on his own, with some assistance from an old family friend. When the news report came about how his famous mother died in a drunken car-crash, he simply turned off the television. It wasn't important. Not anymore.

-

Jimin spun the silvery triangles in his palm, staring at the sleeping Taehyun with a pang of brotherly love. "Such heavy memories in such a small body," He murmured and sat beside him as night washed by.