四十二

The eating hall, which was packed full of gifted, carried the aroma of various dishes, wispy smoke flitting through the air. The ten slipped through and looked around anxiously at all the curious faces that stared right back at them. Namjoon stood on a raised platform, along with the other six who smiled and joked with those milling around. The leader gave a quick speech, introducing those who were new, congratulating those that returned, and invited them all to start eating. Everyone had turned their attention to the ten when they were announced, so it made them much more comfortable when the eating started and everybody was so busy eating they forgot about the ten. They dug in too, eating with gusto.

But not everyone was enjoying their meal.

Jeongguk looked uneasy, pushing his plate away, nudging Taehyung and walked out into the fading light, Taehyung following him.

Yuna seemed disturbed, standing abruptly and slipping off with a quiet "I'm gonna go for a while". She followed the duo, then slunk behind a pillar to listen.

"Is it getting worse?" Taehyung's voice was concerned and worried.

"Yeah," Jeongguk mumbled, "I think it's coming sooner than we expected."

The other sighed, "Is it because we rushed the bringing of those ten?"

"Perhaps."

They were silent.

"But they are meant to be the ones to save us all," Taehyung murmured.

Yuna felt a jolt in her spine. What?

"I'll tell Namjoon, we'll tighten the security and start planning evacuations-"

"But you of all people know it's useless to fight against a prophecy."

"We're not fighting. We're just trying to prolong the invasion."

Invasion?  Yuna thought nervously.

Another sigh, "Well, let's wait for dinner to be over, let the crew have some time off."

As the two walked back, Yuna was left wide-eyed and sweating. This paradise, this safe zone, where they thought they would be safe forever, was going to be attacked. And it was their fault.