四十一

Taehyun and Jisoo walked with Namjoon around the pathways of the village. "How did you create this place?" Taehyun asked in awe. Namjoon's proud smile stayed intact, "We didn't. We found it, like it was waiting for us. It was just the seven of us, on the run from the humans. At that time not many people knew about the gifted, those that did were usually bounty hunters who wished to sell us or our body parts. This sanctuary was found when we stumbled onto the island. We covered it up with heavy mist to deter humans but sent gifted maps so that they could find it. The little blood thing at the entrance was Jeongguk's idea, and the plants with the purple fumes were an extra precaution thought up by one of our later gifteds, one that could manipulate plants. Ever since then, we've been protecting any gifted that's come to us."

"But there are many gifted who are still captured," Jisu said meekly.

Namjoon's face turned grim, "Yes, we sent out rescue parties whenever we can to help them, in fact, we sent them two days ago, they should be arriving at any moment."

"Are we able to go out to rescue other gifteds?" Taehyun asked.

"I don't see why not," Namjoon said with a smile.

He pondered for a moment, then said, "Come, let me show you something."

-

He led them through the winding streets until they reached a simple stone shrine. A slight pulsating and glowing light could be seen illuminating the entire structure. Jisu and Taehyun both felt uneasy, but Namjoon walked right up to it. It was dark, and it took some time for their eyes to adjust but when they did-

"Wow," Jisu breathed. Five spheres sat in a circle, each giving out a different colour, a certain marking on each sphere. Namjoon blinked serenely at them.

"These are what give us our powers."

"No way," Taehyun muttered.

"That's...so amazing."

"Can they be broken? What if they break?"
Namjoon's lips quirked up, "Well, we haven't tried breaking them, of course, but they need to be together for all our powers to work. The five categories: elemental, physical, material, psychological and mystic. Elemental would be like you Taehyun, and physical would be Jisu. I believe your friend Chaeryeong would fall under material, while Yuna would be psychological and Yeonjun would be mystic."

"And everyone had a category?"

"Well, some do have two categories, meaning they draw their energy from two orbs, such as Kai, who goes under physical and mystic."

"Mystic powers are those that can't be explained by science," Jisu guessed.

Namjoon shrugged, "You're not exactly wrong, it's true some are not explainable by science, such as the twins' powers, but I believe Yeji's would be considered mystic." The older paused. "The twins," He said thoughtfully, "Are the most extraordinary gifteds I've ever seen. No gift was known to be split into two. They must be more powerful and special than we could ever imagine."

"How did you find out our powers?"
A wicked grin spread across Namjoon's face, "Jeongguk, of course. A perfect stalker, if you ask me."

A bell rang outside, a distinct echo that reverberated through the entire cave.

"Time to go, the rescue party is back, and just in time for dinner."

-

"Who handles the food and everything?" Jisu questioned curiously.

"Actually, lots of gifteds enjoy doing things that don't require their power, so many people actually volunteered to cook. We grow our own food, thanks to plant manipulators and sometimes we get meat, which is great but other than that it's pretty simple."

"They don't want to be too reliant on their power?"

"Absolutely. I think it's quite dangerous, to be too reliant on one's power."

Taehyun wondered what Kai would say, being very dependent on his power.

The entrance was choked with a group of boys, who waited as a girl hurried forward to coax the plants that dangled above away, before they surged into the village full of smiles and cheers. A group of battered children were behind them, looking dazed and lost. Namjoon coughed lightly, and excused himself as he went forward to introduce himself, leaving Taehyun and Jisu standing there.

"Wow," Jisu commented softly.

-

Yeji basked in the warm fractured sunlight that fell down through the glass ceiling on them as she leaned back on her elbows on a large flat boulder quite a distance away from the commotion at the entrance. Yeonjun sat next to her, observing the crowd.

"This place is nice," Yeji murmured, "Safe."

The other nodded in agreement, "Nothing like my home." That got Yeji's attention. She sat up slowly facing him. "What...was it like?" She asked tentatively.

A sigh. "Messy. Busy. Empty at the same time."

"Is that why you left?"

"Well, actually-"

A breathless Kai ran up to them, Yuna trailing behind him. "It's time for dinner," The younger boy said, "You should come."

Yeonjun stood quickly, and turned back to offer a hand to a faintly disappointed Yeji, "Let's go then."