Chapter 5

Chapter 5 – Ring The Alarm

Christopher Brown | Tappahannock, VA

My feet landed on the hardwood as everyone in the arena watched in anticipation. I could feel my breath leaving my body as the ball bounced and slowly fall into the basket. The buzzer sounded off ending the game and I closed my eyes, feeling the pressure listed off of my shoulders.

"YES!" I sighed relieved as my team mates started crowding around me for the first time tonight.

"And the Rappaha's has won the championship for the third time in a row!" The announcer exclaimed. I felt emotional in this moment. I have been pushing myself for the last seven years and will be my last time shooting the winning basket.

I walked over to the side where the rest of the team was along with my coaches and my dad. I was handed a bottle of water and I took it. I approached them and my father pulled me into a hug. I hugged him back and I patted his back.

"I'm so proud of you Chris. No matter what you do." I didn't want to cry but it was hard not to. This man has been my anchor since I started playing in high school now here we are. My last game playing in the NBA, I am now able to relax and take time out for my mental health.

"You better not cry old man! We gotta suck this shit up!" I grabbed his head pulling his towards mine. He smiled and so did I, sweat dripping down my lips. "We've made history." I chuckled pulling him along with me. Tonight I made 127 points and 32 assists. I had a few angered moments but when you're as competitive as me, shit happens.

The team and I hugged and we headed for the locker room. I got my towel, body wash and loafer and headed for the showers.

>>>

I put on my red Black Pyramid hoodie along with my white joggers and my black and red 1988 Jordan Retro sneakers. The door opened and the coach walked in along with the team owners and my dad. Everyone turned towards them and coach stepped up then spoke.

"We have made history tonight and I'm glad that y'all actually put in the work to get where we are. I'm turning the floor over to Chris who has something to share with you guys." The room shifted to me and I swallowed the lump in my throat.

I stood up and cleared my throat then I said, "I've been with this team since I was 17. I've made history with this team for the past 15 years but this will be my end with y'all." I heard a lot of groans and 'don't go fam' going around the room.

I shook my head as I smiled softly. "I know I may not have been the most open on my end but regardless y'all had my back and I'm grateful but I got a daughter that's growing every second of the day and she needs me now more than ever. This is just for a short time, not a long time because I will be back." I ended and a round of applause lit the room.

"Breezy! Breezy! Breezy!" They chanted and the smile on my face grew bigger. They went around have some shook my hand while the others and I dapped.

"Good luck man. You know we got you." I smiled as I hugged the coach. As I pulled away, the door opened and Beyoncé stood there watching everyone then her eyes scanned for me.

"Can I steal him for a moment?" She asked her voice just as soft and country as I remembered it. I smiled as I nod my head telling her yes. "Let me get my bag real quick." I walked over to my locker and emptied it and place it all in my bag. I zipped it up and slung it over my shoulder.

"Best of wishes y'all!" I chucked up the deuces then walked out. I walked over to her and she was fiddling with her fingers.

"You nervous mama?" I asked her walking closer to her. Her head popped up and she smiled at me. "You did well tonight, I'm so proud of you.'' She closed the gap between us, looking up at me with those beautiful eyes that I loved so much. I saw my future in them and I couldn't wait to finally live it in reality.