Chapter 43

Chapter 43- Unholiness
Once Fallon left an older woman came and helped me wash. She scrubbed at my skin so much that I was sure it would wash away from the vigorous work she was doing.
She had a foul look on her face and she uttered curses under her breath as she poured oil into the bath.
I watched and crinkled my nose in disgust. She observed me, narrowing her eyes as the oil began to sink into my skin.
I felt my skin slightly begin to burn and I scratched at it. I gasped as I could see my skin begin to steam. I looked at the woman and she smirked at me darkly speaking in an Italian accent. "Holy water, Gods way of spotting an unholy creature and sending them to hell." I began to pull myself from the tub but she took her hands which were much stronger than I would have imagined and held me in place.
I hissed at her, angered that she would try to harm me. I pushed on her harder than I intended as she knocked into the cabinet behind her. I pulled myself from the tub turning on the shower beside me, groaning in pain as the cold water poured down. Before I had a chance to get into the refreshing water, the woman pushed a knife into the tender flesh of my lower calf. I cried out half falling. I knew then I wouldn't be able to control my anger as I pulled the silver blade and she began to utter in Italian when she no doubt saw my fangs and simmering green eyes.
I grabbed her throat and before I could stop myself I ripped it open and began to drink.
I barely registered as hands pried my naked body from her. Nova.
She shoved me backwards and I hissed at her angrily. "She tried to kill me." Nova frowned at me and glared at the woman gargling on her blood. "Dammit, this wasn't planne." She muttered grabbing one of the hand cloths she placed it over the old woman's neck. I could hear her gargling and although a slight feeling of shame filled me I was also angry that she had tried to kill me.
Nova glowered at me taking the woman's arm she began to drag her out of the bathroom, leaving behind a trail of blood.

I swallowed at the sight and guilt finally made its way to me.
"Rinse off you're bloody as hell." She called before I heard her open the door and what I assumed was a guard whom she passed the woman too.
I obeyed her rinsing off the holy water.
When I reached for towel and wrapped it around myself I found Nova smirking at me.
I looked at her hesitantly. "You're not so holy anymore." She sneered.
My stomach dropped, probably not seeing as I had drank human blood what felt like one too many times today.
Nova shook her head and turned her back to me when she faced me again she produced what would be my wedding dress. I couldn't deny it was beautiful but I knew that it wasn't going to be worn wedding the right person.

Nova swayed the fabric and brushed her hands on it. She tightened her grip on the fabric and her dark eyes met mine. "It shouldn't be you." She said angrily.
I examined her upright posture, gritted teeth and the rage that began to shine through her. Like a bolt of lightning, realization struck me. A soft gasp left me. "You love him." I whispered. Novas eyes met mine. I could see the cloudiness of them and even with her being such a vile creature I felt the urge to comfort her. I opened my mouth to apologize but she raised her hand. "Stop."
I swallowed my words. "You can help me find a way to stop this." I offered. God above what was wrong with me offering the woman who had tortured me numerous times a shot at love.
Nova set the dress back on the bed and shook her head. "You're so nieve." She sighed grabbing for the blow dryer on the counter. Before she could switch it on I placed my hand over it. "You love him." I repeated.
Nova stiffened and bared her teeth at me. "You have no idea what you are talking about." She spat.
I smiled sadly at her. "You know it's love when you would do anything for them."
I knew this in my bones as I spoke this aloud. The way she seemed so dedicated to the man, hell she was helping me get ready to marry him because he asked her too. I also knew that I would do anything to make sure Ashered didn't get hurt today, no matter if it meant sacrificing more of my humanity that I already had. It was my fault that I hadn't listened and left the castle when I should have stayed and waited.
"Just stop." Nova snapped and sadness filled me at the slight crack I heard in her voice. "You can help Ashered too-"
Nova cut me off with a laugh. "Save you?" Another dark laugh escaped her. "Oh I count on it only I still wish him dead."
I shook my head fear coursing through me for him, the man I loved.
"Nova." I began but once more her sharp tounge cut me off.
"I will get what I want and Simone will get what he desires."
I backed away from her and she switched on the hairdryer drowning out anything else I would say.