Chapter 49

Chapter 49- The Reason For Everything

Melvins eyes were wide when I looked back at him pleadingly.
Another cry drew our attention and I pulled at Melvins dumbstruck grip. His grip was like iron and I watched as Ashereds body shook. His hands dig into the earth and as Simone took another slice at him the ground shook. "This is what happens to an angel when you rid them of their wings." Simone laughed. "Not so angelic anymore." He hissed tracing the knife over the flesh that was freshly cut. "Stop." I pleaded and I gripped my hand onto Melvin, digging my nails into him until I caught his attention.

"You're better this." I said lowly. Melvins blue eyes met mine and I raised a brow at him, hoping he would help me. He slowly let go of me, shaking his head. His boyish features contorted into disgust as Simone took another swing at Ashered. The ground rumbled and I stumbled clasping Melvins arm. "I didn't know he was gonna hurt him like this." He did and my eyes widened as tears began to stream down his pale skin. I grasped his cheek and glanced back at Ashered. I had to help him and soon. "It's okay, Melvin it's not your fault."

He nodded and I spun around giving me a look of encouragement before I ran to Simone. I leaned onto Simone no plan in mind. I growled feriously, a newfound energy spurring within me. I would not let him take Ashered away from me. Simone hissed and grabbed my hips swinging me onto the ground in front of him.

Ashered looked at me awestruck and in horror.
He grabbed my hand and Simones rage was prominent on him when I looked up at the sword plummeting toward me. Simone outstretched his wings protectively around me. Soon enough Simone was gone and then Ashereds wing dropped , I gasped horrified at the strip of flesh that barely held the wound together, blood spilling from his back, muscle exposed to the fierce brisk air.

Simone laughed and I tried to scrub the memory of Ashereds scream of agony from my brain but it lingered even as he panted, his body shook and he held me protectively against his chest. Shock was clear on my face and my jaw dropped as Nova appeared and pulled a pistol from her pocket. I cowered Into Ashered and when it fired and a howl sounded I looked up shocked. Simone was on the ground clutching his abdomen. He looked at Nova and her hands shook as she held the gun in her hand.

I tapped on Ashereds arm and he let go of reluctantly. I pulled myself up and walked slowly over to Nova. I took the pistol from her hand and threw it to the side. "It's okay, Nova." I said softly and she just looked at me and the shocked faces of everyone around her. She stumbled for her words before speaking. "You were right." She breathed and then she darted back into the building. I  turned to Simone and bent down slowly. His face was paling. I grabbed his cold hand in mine and he looked at me, a cough sputtering from his chest. "I just wanted to have her back." I crinkled my eyebrows in confusion. "Who?" I asked softly. "Nova?"
Simone shook his head gazing at Ashereds mangled wing.
"He was the only way that I could get to her." Asherd stood up clutching his wing and Fallon appeared from nowhere helping him up. Ashereds expression was dark when he looked at Simone. I was so angry with Simone but as I saw his body to turn off I felt a heaviness. "Who was she?" I asked trying not to look at the blood that was pooling over his shirt. "The girl I loved."
"Where is she?" I asked gently. Simone closed his eye and a single tear slipped down his cheek. Out of the corner of my eye I could see Ashered moving toward me and I raised my hand to him.
He paused and Simone opened his eyes. "She died." My stomach churned at a realization.  I swallowed hard. "You'll see her soon."
He laughed and a trickle of blood began to slide down his face. " I know. Why are you so kind after everything I've done. I tried to murder you and so many others."
I nodded and I pushed down any hate I felt. "I know." Simones eyes turned fearful and he squeezed his eyes shut. "I don't know where I will go." He whispered and I swallowed already getting an idea of that answer. Before I could respond his features softened and his hand sent slack in mine.
I looked to Ashered and he was facing the mass of people. "Your leader is dead. You can either surrender or I will slaughter you all." I flinched at the raw anger in his tone. I brought myself to my feet. Melvin helped me up and I looked around at what felt like a sea of bodies. This was it. Simone was gone but for some reason all I felt was worse.