Chapter 3

Chapter three: I wish the steering wheel was your face

It was almost two weeks later until I ran into Daniel.

I sat at the lake at my friend Gales house tossing rocks into the water when Gale jogged over to me with two glasses of tea.

She brushed back her curly black hair and squinted at the early afternoon sun. "Its hot out here."She said staring at her tea that was already dripping in sweat. I took my tea and scooted over on the dock so she could sit beside me. "Well I just thought I should let you know there is a hot guy waiting for you in the kitchen." Gale said casually ignoring my shocked expression as she walked back to the house. I ran after her my tea spilling on the grass. I huffed irritated at her before I looked through the window watching her enter her home and greet- Daniel?! I gasped choking on air. I had put Simone trying to murder me and the stupid creepy heroic guy standing in my best friends house in the past. I peeked back around the fence and caught the eye of Daniel. He didn't smile, he seemed to say with his eyes that something not good was going on. I closed my eyes mentally preparing myself as I walked inside the house.

Gale turned to see me and struck me with a mean glare. "Well it seems you forgot to tell me this was your boyfriend." She said clenching her jaw as she tried not to explode in anger. I made a confused face before taking Daniel by the arm arm and dragging him to the backyard.

"What are you doing here." I snapped dropping my hand to my side and placing them firmly on my hips. Daniel's smiley expression was gone, the replacement cold and urgent. A sliver of worry caking his expression. "Simone." He said, "He has escaped and he wants to kill you." I felt my body go cold. "Maybe you're wrong." I spat back. Daniel didn't say anything. I sighed running my hand through my hair. "Okay, so...?" I asked. Daniel smirked at me. " I have a plan I told your parents and your friend, Gale we have secretly been dating, and I'm taking you on a surprise trip for a couple days." I scoffed. "I'm not going anywhere with you."

"Fine then I will just go everywhere with you today."

I glared intently at Daniel. " look I am fine, I can take care of myself." I said as calmly as I could.

Daniel looked at me like I was joking. " Really? That's why you almost drowned two weeks ago because Simone tried to murder you and pass it off as an accident." I swallowed closing my eyes trying not to punch him the face, seeing as he was much bigger and stronger than me it wouldn't work out too well. " Fine, but you can stay in the background, watch from a distance I still have a life you know." I replied walking back into Gales house, " And you can start watching from a distance now, bye." I said shutting the screen door before he could follow me inside.

I ran my hand over my face wondering how my life had changed so much in the matter of two weeks. It was actually starting to go back to normal until he decided to show up again. How nice....

Gale walked over to me, more like marched and stood before me hands on her hips, anger painted across her pale clear skin. "I- How-." Gale let one of her hands fall from off her hip and she pinched the bridge of her nose. "Why In the hell were you keeping dating someone from me?"

I sighed looking at Gale." look I didn't mean to-."

Gale didn't listen to me instead she pointed to the door. " You swore you wouldn't keep stuff from me. When you're ready to tell me then you can come back."

I looked between her and her door before slinging my bag over my shoulder and walking out the door. I didn't say anything as I walked out slamming the door. It echoed behind me. I walked over to my red pickup truck that my dad had bought me. He told me that he wouldn't buy me a small vehicle because bigger ones were safer, maybe now that I had almost been killed, I would feel better, safer.... Nope.

I kicked the truck into gear and drove back home. We lived on the edge of town and we had three neighbors, Each half a mile away from us. I leaned my head on the steering wheel and when it blared I didn't move instead I took my fist and pounded it into it several times until, the sound came out uneven and my fist were so pale with red hints on the knuckles. I jumped at a ponding on my window. I breathed in heavily rolling down the window. My mom placed her hand over mine. "Hun, I heard that Daniel canceled the trip, he said you and Gale got in an argument." I gritted my teeth in that second wishing that the steering wheel had been Daniels face. I smiled defeated at my mom. " Yes." Was all I could manage without showing my anger or fear. My mom patted my hand. " Your dad and I are making chocolate chip cookies." My mom said before smiling softly at me and walking inside. I waited for her to walk inside before cutting the engine off.

"Hey." My fist dove out clashing into the person beside me. I covered my mouth in shock as Daniel looked at me with a grin. I had punched him the face and he was smiling, wait laughing. "Sorry." I said feeling so awkward that I laughed with him. Daniel finally stopped laughing and I followed shortly after wiping my eyes from where they had watered from so much laughter.

Daniel looked at me this time slightly more serious. " Act normal, but out there in the woods is Simone, he won't come near light, so it appears I will be here tonight for a little while."