New Beginnings

Part 1: White Clouds

Great Tree Moon

An Inevitable Encounter

"You are our new professor?" She asked and Byleth nodded her head.

"I really can't believe it! But I was speaking to you so casually, as though we were companions!" Annette gasped, "Oh, I am so sorry, Professor! You just look the same age as the rest of us and... Oh, and I'm sorry I just said that too! I really must watch my tongue..."

"I don't mind if you treat me as a friend," Byleth reassured her.

"You say that, but... I just don't know about all of this," Annette confessed.

"I'll admit, it doesn't sit well with me either. After all, we wish to show you due respect."

"Sure, but if the professor says it's OK, shouldn't that be enough? That is... If Your Highness can consent to such a thing. After all, we're already speaking this way to our future king, so we may as well relax our speech with our professor too, right?" Sylvain speaks up.

"Well, we're not in the kingdom, so it only goes to follow that we should all speak companionably. I concede. If the professor says it's fine, we ought to accept that kindness gratefully," Dimitri says giving in.

"As for me," Ingrid inputs, "I'm not sure I can manage..."

"You don't have to force yourself if it's too difficult. You're fine with that too, right professor?" Mercedes says.

Byleth nodded her head.

"Such benevolence is a sight to behold! I don't suppose you would care to join me for tea? We could discuss education... And marriage," Sylvain winked.

Freya rolled her eyes and Felix beat her to it, "Control yourself Sylvain. I have more important matters to discuss with our new professor. Come to the training ground later. There, you will show me what you're capable of."

"You aren't wasting any time, are you Felix?" Dimitri said, "As it were, count me in for any such battle."

"Humph," Felix said.

"Pardon me," Ashe interjects, "But, I would also love to observe you in battle, for future reference. If that's OK with you..."

"Ashe, I won't have you speak of merely watching. You should join us as well," Dimitri told the boy.

"If you get injured, simply say the word and I'll patch you up straight away," Mercedes laughed lightly.

"You highness. Do take care not to go overboard," Deduce advised.

"You worry too much, Deduce. I'll be fine. I promise," Dimitri assured him.

"My companions!" Sylvain announces, "Is there not something inherently wrong with crossing blades as a way to bond with each other?"

"Huh," Ingrid thought aloud, "I never thought of it that way. Well, if that's how you feel, I suppose you'll just stay behind while the rest of us are at the training ground? Wouldn't you agree, Freya?"

Freya nodded deciding to join in on the fun, "I agree. Maybe Sylvain would prefer to sit all the battles out."

"Ingrid, Freya, my dearest friends. You really are too harsh on me," Sylvain shook his head.

"If that's what you think," Freya says and smiles at the nineteen year old.

"Well then, Professor, what do you think? As you can see, the Blue Lion House is a lively bunch, but you'll find none who work harder," Dimitri concluded, "I'm certain we'll cause our fair share of trouble, but I'm very much looking forward to the year ahead."