The Great Bridge Coup

Part 2: Azure Moon

Lone Moon

The Rose-Coloured River

The day had come when they marched to the Great Bridge of Myrddin. It was a long walk and Freya missed flying the skies on a pegasus. Unfortunately, the knights were using all the pegasus' and Freya has gotten used to being on her own two feet.

"Our scout has returned," Gilbert informed everyone, "As expected, there are quite a few Imperial soldiers stationed there."

Dimitri nodded, "I see. So the enemy has prepared for our arrival... It matters not. I will kill them all, whether they are one or one hundred."

"Don't say such things..." Byleth frowned.

"What would you do, if you saw the people who stole everything from you? If you saw them right before your eyes, living carefree lives and feeling no guilt. Would you feel nothing? Do nothing? Five years ago... Did you not deem the woman who killed Jeralt to be unforgivable? I am most certain that you did. You couldn't let her get away with her crime, so you took up your sword in pursuit."

"You're right," Byleth looked down ashamed.

"Precisely my point. We're the same, you and I."

Felix rolled his eyes, "You're wasting your time. There's nothing to be gained from exchanging words with a boar that has lost its mind."

"Felix..." Gilbert says disapproving.

"This is war. Every last one of us has lost someone we care for. But we choose to suppress our anger and go right on living. Do you know why?" Felix asks.

"Because it's pointless," Byleth says carefully.

"That's right," Felix nods, "All the boar is accomplishing is stacking up more corpses."

"Tell me, Felix... If the dead are beyond reach, is it not also pointless to mourn or even bury those who are lost?"

Felix laughed dryly, "Ha. That mind of yours. I'm done here. Remember, Professor. It's not compassion for this fool that has brought our army so far. There are those of us who despise the Empire, and those who side with the church. If we keep running down this path, it's only a matter of time before the ground beneath us collapses."

"That's enough, Felix," Rodrigue says sternly.

"Hmph," Felix says unaffected, "You're a damned fool, old man."

He left and Freya looked at his father as he spoke, "The soldiers are ready to march on your command."

"Then let's move out at once. Every moment counts."

"Understood. Let's show those Empire dastards the power of the Knights of Faerghus!"

"That symbol..." General Ladislava of the Empire Army gasped, "It's an enemy raid. Stay calm and face them head-on. Send a messenger to Acheron immediately! If we're quick, we might be able to pull off a pincer attack!"

"Edelgard's dog, huh?" Dimitri smiles, "All the more reason to kill her."

"Attack Ladislava and take the bridge. Shall we begin?"

Freya nodded her head as she crossed weapons with an axe wielder. She gritted her teeth before slicing through the soldier. Her head whipped up looking for Sylvain and she saw him fighting off an enemy soldier along Felix and Ingrid.

"I don't believe this..." Freya gasped after taking down another three soldiers.

It could not be true. She must be going crazy.