Familial Monsters

Part 1: White Clouds

Garland Moon

Tower of Black Winds

Freya was nervous about this month's mission. Mainly because she knew the person they were tasked to battle. It was Sylvain's older brother, Miklan. He was disowned for not having a crest, a reason which Freya found inexcusable. Sylvain, of course, claimed he was fine with taking out his own brother, but Freya saw the sadness in his eyes. He did not flirt with any girls this month and Freya knew that he was only thinking about this mission.

Once she gathered her weapons, she joined Byleth, Dimitri and Gilbert.

"It should be in our sights soon, Professor," Dimitri said, "The abandoned tower those thieves are using as a base... Conand Tower."

"Any idea how many soldiers are inside?" Freya asked.

"This area was the site of a massive battle several hundred years ago. That's when invasions from the north were at their peak," Gilbert informed them, Back then, this tower was built for both surveillance and defense. It will be difficult to seize it."

"You're very well informed, Gilbert. Please tell us more," Dimitri said.

"Well, I... You're joking," Gilbert said.

"Professor. Did you see the local villagers?" Dimitri asked.

Byleth nodded her head as Dimitri continued, "They were in rough shape, no doubt because of the thief attacks. They're not going to make it through the winter in that condition. If the thieves have taken up pillaging in order to survive, that would be deplorable, but understandable. But this... This is something else entirely. It looks as though they destroyed those villages purely for pleasure. No matter what their reasons may be, that sort of behaviour cannot be allowed. Ever."

"Don't bother losing your head over those lowlifes, Your Highness. It's wasted effort," Sylvain said of joining them.

He stood beside Freya and Freya remained silent.

"Sylvain..." Dimitri said, "The thieves' leader... the one who stole the Relic. Word has it he's your older brother. I know he's been disowned, but..."

"He is no longer a member of House Gautier... Or my brother. He's nothing more than a common thief."

Freya bowed her head at the bold declaration.

"Are you sure about that?" Dimitri asked, "It would be understandable to find this situation well, regrettable, to say the least."

"Regrets?" Sylvain laughed, "You must be joking. You know we're far past the point of regret. And it always falls on the younger brother to clean up the mistakes of their elders, doesn't it?"

He looked at Freya, "I need your help, can you come with me."

Freya looked at Dimitri who gave her permission to go. In this situation, she was Dimitri's soldier and a loyal one at that. She shared his wishes for their enemies to fall. It was that fierce loyalty that caused Felix to be worried for her.

"Listen," Sylvain said, "I know how I feel about this situation, but how are you faring?"

Freya looked at her closest friend. They grew up together and she knew of the fractured sibling relationship Sylvain had with Miklan. While she never really saw Miklan when she visited House Gautier, her few exchanges with him were decent enough.

"I'll be okay," Freya said, "I am more concerned with you. Please don't be careless and get yourself killed."

Sylvain nodded his head, "Of course not."