Making Bonds

Part 1: White Clouds

Garland Moon

The Goddess' Rite of Rebirth

The Goddess' Rite of Rebirth was at the end of the month and the Blue Lions were tasked with protecting the monastery during the ritual. Freya was determined to defend the monastery fiercely. She swung against a soldier and noticed Felix watching her.

"How long were you waiting there for?" She asked.

Felix shrugged, "Not long at all. Your swordsmanship had gotten much more impressive."

"Thanks," Freya said back to him and deflected his sword that came out of nowhere.

"Like I said," Felix said, pulling back his blade, "Impressive."

"There is still much improvement I must make before I reach the battlefield."

    Felix gave a nod and the two finished sparring. As Felix was cleaning his blade, Freya found herself curious, "Felix, what is it that you will fight for?"

    Felix raised his head looking at the girl, "I fight for myself."

    Freya frowned, "I thought so."

    She stepped forward, "That kind of mindset will only get you killed."

    "What is it that you fight for?" He asked her just as she was about to leave.

    Freya stiffened, "I fight for those who couldn't."

    She could not hide the vengeance in her tone and Felix looked at her warningly, "Be careful if you choose to continue to tread this path."

    "I am not a boar," Freya said alluding to his views on Dimitri, "I am a warrior."

    With that, she left for the library to allow her body to rest. She pulled out a book and opened it learning about swords and blades in combat when someone bumped into her. She lifted her head and frowned when she lost her page.

    "Freya?" A boy's voice said puzzled, "I'm so sorry."

    Freya looked up to see Ashe standing before her. A smile appeared on her face, "It's no worries, Ashe. How is everything going?"

    Ashe gave her a sad smile, "It's not easy, but my siblings were able to be taken in by the church so they'll be alright."

    "That's good to hear," she said, "Are you just reading to relax?"

    Ashe nodded his head, "Yes."

    He picked up the book Freya dropped, "Apologies for making you lose your page."

    "It is alright," she said, "I just started. What book are you reading?"

    "It's an old fable I read growing up," Ashe said, "It is about a commoner who slays a great beast and saves his village."

    "Sounds like an interesting read," Freya said.

    "It is," Ashe said, "I can lend it to you after I finish."

    "I would love that."

    Her stomach then growled and Freya's face went red, "Oh, I guess I forgot to eat. Would you like to head to the dining hall with me? I heard there was a fish special."

    Ashe nodded his head, "For sure, let's go."

    Freya sat down with Ashe and the others and let out a satisfied sound at the tasty fish.