The End of the Alliance

Part 2: Azure Moon

Harpstring Moon

The Golden Deer's Plea

    "He's dead," Dimitri said, "There goes our chance to gain more information. Then again, even if we had managed to capture him alive, judging by the way he was acting..."

    "For now, let's rejoice in our victory," Byleth told him.

    "Teach is absolutely right," Claude grinned, "We should take this rare opportunity to let off some tension."

    "It has been too long, Claude. I am glad to see that you're safe."

    "Same," The Alliance leader said, "I haven't seen you since the nightmare that was Gronder. You really did come to help us... You must be a bunch of soft-hearted suckers, eh?"

    Freya rolled her eyes at his teasing.

    "If you really felt that way, you would not have set up a defensive battle in hopes that we would come. It worked out, only because we made it in time... Were you really so confident that we would answer the call?" Dimitri huffed out.

    "Of course," Claude confident, "I knew you wouldn't hesitate to put yourself second and come running to our aid."

"How insightful," Byleth scoffed.

"You and I are cut from different cloth. I wouldn't make a move unless I could gain something from it. You've always been just the opposite. And of course, I've always been fond of taking dangerous risks. After all, I sent that express messenger before you had even recaptured the kingdom capital. If all went to plan, I knew you'd recapture it soon, and then respond to our request for aid. It was riskier than usual, I'll give you that. But it was the only card I had to play, so I took the gamble," Claude reasoned.

"You cross too many dangerous bridges for my liking," Dimitri frowned.

"I know, I know," Claude says, "But that ends today."

Freya beat Dimitri to it, "What do you mean?"

Claude looked at Freya, "Thank you for protecting Eliza for me."

"Of course," Freya said looking at Eliza.

"Here, take this. Use it however you see fit," Claude told Dimitri.

"The legendary bow, Failnaught... Isn't that the Hero's relic of House Riegan? Hold, Claude. This must be one of your jokes. You cannot truly intend to part with this..." Dimitri said shocked.

"It's not a joke," Calude tells him, "As of today, the Leicester Alliance is no more."

Freya stifled a gasp and Dimitri looked at Claude confused, "What are you planning, Claude?"

"If you're going to lead Fódlan, then the alliance Lords will follow you. Back in the day, the Alliance split off from the Kingdom. I'm just putting us back together again. Oh, and I've already gained the support of the other Lords at the roundtable conference, so you can stop looking at me like I'm crazy. All that's left for me is to officially step down as leader of the Alliance."

"Will you join our army?" Byleth asked him.

"Hold your horses there, Teach," Claude said to her.

He looked at them, "I'm leaving Fódlan. There are things I have to do. Dreams I need to see to fruition. That's why I became the Alliance leader to begin with, actually. But it left me no time for what I was really after. You'd better not take on too many responsibilities yourselves, or else you'll end up in the same boat. And remember... Both the living and the dead cling to us without any regard for our own lives. It's up to us to break free of that weight and follow the path that we believe in."