Prologue

"Hey." I greeted Rene who was standing outside with a cheerful smile on her spotless face.
"Hi, Rene. What brings you here?" I asked not wanting to invite her in.
"Can I come in? " she asked.
"Yeah sure. I'm sorry, where are my manners? " I said a little ashamed.
"No worries, it happens to me too," she said following me towards the living room.
"Have a seat," I said sitting on the couch beside my mom.
"Hello dear. How are you? " mom asked her.
"I'm fine, thank you. How are you Mrs. Joanson? " she was actually polite, unlike her family.
"I'm fine. Call me Sara, please. It makes me feel young. " she said with a laugh. She's definitely not old. My friends often think she is my sister.
"Sure, Sara. There's no need you look young. You and faith can really pull off being sisters. " she is flattering my mom.
"Oh, dear. Thank you so much." Mom was blushing at the comment. She acts childish sometimes.
"You're welcome, Sara." She said smiling. Her angelic smile. She actually looks like those little delicate doll that everyone wants to own and treat with love and care. She has black hair like her mother. Mesmerizing green eyes. Small nose, even her ears seem tiny, heart-shaped face and fair skin. She's 5 feet. A delicate piece of glass that needs to be cherished. She has that charm about herself that attracts everyone like a magnet. Her voice is the sweetest sound. She is perfect. She is wearing a white tank top with a black jacket and black jeans, sneakers adorn her feet, her messy bun might not look as good if it was anyone else. Her face is free of makeup. She is good in studies, art, cooking you name it she knows it. She lives in the house across from ours. Her family is a bitch but she turns out to be the opposite.
In her comparison, I look like a rotten tomato. I'm 5'1 with an average body. My hips stand out the most. I have tummy fat. My brown hair and brown eyes are very common. Nothing about me is unique. I'm not thin and not fat just in between. My face can be called as a long face in the actual term. I have long hair which is really difficult to tame.
I also wear specks. She does too sometimes. But where I look like a donkey wearing them she pulls them off like some model modeling for an advertisement. I'm wearing my all-time jeans and t-shirt outfit. But I look average. I know it's not good to compare yourself to anyone but she makes me feel inferior. I feel like I'm just a waste of space. Most of the time I look like a guy with my hair in a bun under my cap. Don't get me wrong I like how I am but when I stand beside her it's like I don't exist. I hate feeling like that.
"So what brings you here? " my mom asked. I kinda spaced out I guess. It happens a lot.
"I came to borrow some books from faith. Can you lend me your notes and books? I'm thinking of completing my degree." She explained.
"But you were studying for the entrance, right? " I asked. She was also giving the toughest exam in our country. Can you believe it? This makes her even more perfect.
" Yeah but I think completing my degree is also a must. " she was defending herself.
"It's good. So are you getting homeschooled or getting an admission in University."
"Homeschooled I guess since I don't wanna waste my time commuting to the university back and forth. " she said as a fact. I think I was dumb for attending it. I was two years older than her 22. She had her 20th birthday a few weeks ago.
"Yeah. I'll get you the books. But return it as soon as you graduate since I have to give it to a friend of mine. " I got up to head to my room upstairs. My house was a two-story house with two rooms upstairs and a living room, a kitchen, and a bedroom downstairs. It was a very old house. We shifted here 5 years ago. I entered my room. It was small with only a single bed and cupboard and a study table makes it look clustered. The room beside this belongs to my Lil bro. We have a single bathroom which we have to share. That's a nuisance but I love every second of living here.
I grabbed all the study material. I completed my graduation a year ago. Just after that, I started working as a 3yrs grade teacher. I'm studying further for getting my teacher's degree and everything. I got this job because of one of my friends. My family is financially unstable. My dad stopped working last year when he was removed. I was working as a home tutor before that but after that, I had to find another job for running this family. My brother works as well. He works with his childhood friend. We don't earn much but it's sufficient. I spaced out again. Carrying the things in my arms I went downstairs. Mom and Renee were conversing.
"Here you go," I said to get their attention.
"I should get going," Renee said getting up grabbing the books from my hand. She swayed a little. Yeah, they were heavy.
"Let me help you drop this." I offered.
"Thank you. It was nice meeting you, Sara," she said to my mom with a smile.
"Likewise dear"
I opened the door and walked ahead of her with the intention of getting this over as soon as possible.
"Hey, girls" I heard from my left. I stopped in my tracks and turned towards the voice.
"Yuri. Hi," I heard Rene greet.
"Hey" I greeted which was the last thing I wanted to do.
"What are you girls up to? " he asked staring at the books in our arms.
"I was borrowing some books from faith." She explained.
"So I was coming to meet you two. I wanted to ask you guys to help plan the spring festival. Faith already knows about this but I wanted to ask you myself. " he said running his hand on the back of his neck. He was nervous.
"Oh. Faith didn't mention it. " she was confused. She turned towards me
" I forgot. Sorry. I had a lot on my mind." I was embarrassed. I didn't know I had to ask her. She never attends the festival decoration or planning.
"it's ok. Yeah, I'll help you guys," she confirmed.
"We would be glad to have your help. " he was blushing. He has a crush on her. Oh, God. Yuri was 6 feet with black hair, black eyes, and dark skin. He is a very nice person. I never saw him act like this.
"I'll just drop this really quick and then we can discuss. Shall we have some coffee?" She offered. Nope, I'm not going. Not wanna be the third wheel. Yuri only has eyes for her.
" Yeah, that will be awesome. Let's go then. " he agreed so easily. Who is gonna ask me?
"I'm sorry I have something already planned so I won't be able to join you guys. "
"It's ok not a problem. I'll explain it to you later." Yuri was quick to agree. He can't wait to be alone with her. I pushed the books in his arms and ran towards my home. Running upstairs I headed to my room. Closing the door. I sat on the bed hugging my pillow. Thinking of everything that just happened. I had a crush on yuri a few years back but he never reciprocates my feeling. I never told him either. He got a girlfriend and I got over him easily. Who will ever want me? I'm just a nerd. I talk a lot. I'm not good at understanding others' feelings. I like to read. I cannot decline anyone. I never had a boyfriend. The guys that I had crush all used to like Rene. I'm just someone whom you call when you need to transfer your burden and enjoy it while I complete your work. I always help with the spring festival decorations. When everyone goes home I stay there to complete their pending work. I exhaust myself. Why couldn't I be like her? Why don't guys hover around me? They will never let her work it's just a way of inviting her to spend time with her. And nothing else. While they chat with her I'll have to do their work. But why this year. Why does she want to join? I think I'm thinking too much. I hope it turns out well.
But I didn't know that this will be my worst spring festival ever. My life will turn upside down just because of her.