Chapter 3

Past

Waking up early in the morning I went to meet yuri since we have to prepare the final plans. I was in my everyday costume of jeans and a pale blue shirt. Wearing my sneakers and grabbing my coat I went downstairs. Everyone was sleeping since it was still early. I wrote a note so that they won't worry. I went out. As soon as I turned around the street I saw Yuri standing with Chris and victor.
"Good morning." I greeted no one in particular.
"Morning." Yuri greeted, Chris smiled and victor ignored me.
"Let's go," I said walking towards the community hall.
"So how are you?" Chris asked.
Today I'm not invisible I guess.
"I'm fine. What about you?" I asked.
"I'm great. So how long did you know Rene?" He asked. See I knew there was a motive behind this talk.
"It's been 5 years since I moved here. So I knew about her since then. But I seriously don't know anything about her. You got the wrong person here" I said as a matter of fact. Her family didn't socialize with poor people like us. The Clark family came from old money so they were still rich. We were peasants compared to them. Mrs. Clark was an egoistic lady who only talked to people belonging to her status. Mr. Clark works at the government office. He was at a high-level post but nonetheless a kind person. Her elder sister Jacqueline Clark worked in the fashion industry. Her younger brother Jacob was a heartbreaker and a player. Always seen with a different girl. He used and threw girls like tissues. My brother and he are in the same grade but they never socialize since my brother has a bad boy reputation around school. Apart from Rene nobody in their family speaks with us.
"Okay." He said disappointingly.
We got near the hall and I saw matt standing with his wife. They weren't talking actually they were kissing.
"Guys it's gross. " Chris said covering my eyes.
"Like you care. I saw you in the same position multiple times with different girls." Matt teased him
"Can you remove your hand, please? " I asked still in complete darkness.
"Oh, I forgot." He removed his hand and headed towards Selena Matt's wife.
"Hey, Lena babe. How are you?" he said putting his arm around her shoulder.
"Ouch. Ow ow ow " he cried in pain since Matt twisted his arm that was around Selena's shoulder.
"Stay away from my wife. I don't want her getting any diseases from you." Matt warned him. But I could see his lips twitching in a smile. Chris was always like this. Joking around, laughing, and lifting everyone's mood.
"Hey I'm Selena " she extended her hand. We weren't invited to their wedding since we just shifted here. So this was the first time I met her. She was very beautiful. Brunette hair, blue eyes she was taller than me way taller. She was wearing jeans and a t-shirt. With knee-length boots. She looked gorgeous. They too had an arranged marriage since she came from money. Matt's family and her's decided to seal their business contract by marrying their eldest kids. But I could see the way they look at each other. They are in love. They were the most beautiful couple in the community. Matt too looked handsome with blonde hair and green eyes. He was 6'3 taller than victor but way more gorgeous. He could easily give Victor a ran for his money in the looks department. They could easily pass on for twins.
"Hi, I'm Faith Joanson. It's nice to meet you. " I said shaking her hand.
"It's nice to meet you too. I heard a lot about you from Matt. The girl who constantly helps with anything and also the one does everyone's work" her words made my cheeks turn red. I know matt is a very kind person. He always looks carefully at what anyone does. So I'm shocked that he actually noticed me and talked about me to his wife. I'm not invisible to him I guess.
"It's not like that," I said not wanting to take all the credit.
"My girl is the best," Yuri said placing his hand on my shoulder. I like yuri the best since he never discriminates between anyone.
"Oh. So she's the lucky girl. " Selena smiled teasingly.
"No no no it's not what you think. He's just joking. " I tried to explain it to her. Leave it on yuri to confuse others.
"Let's get going it's getting late" victor yelled before entering the hall.
Everyone was assigned their tasks and we left after a few hours. Since it was the weekend we decided to complete our tasks tomorrow and meet in the evening to start with all the decoration. Spring festival was only a week away.
As I was walking away I thought about what my brother said. I could actually tell Chris all about my crush but I don't wanna change anything between us since we were somewhat friends that didn't talk much Chris and I both were assigned the same task of going to the market and getting supplies. I'll tell him tomorrow when we go together so that no one will know.
I went home that day with mixed thoughts not knowing what to do. I sat down beside the window to think about everything.
My crush started last year when I was asked to help by Diana since not all of the people in the community want to spend their time preparing festivals. She asked I agreed. I met Chris the first day he was the only one who spoke to me apart from Yuri. Even Diana had a motive of asking me. She used to give me all her work and go out with her friends. So I was just a space goat. Yuri and I used to stay late at night to complete our tasks. Even Chris was there. So I should like yuri right no offense their yuri but he and I were always like brother and sister. I liked Chris because he was very different from the other people I had a crush on. He was carefree, always in a happy go lucky mood. He even made me laugh a lot of times which was a shock since I never laughed. I mean I do but not the real kind. Whenever I was with him I felt as if I was a free bird I could do whatever I want. There is no family, no responsibilities, no working late at night. With him, I never thought about all the things that I missed. All the dates I've never been to because nobody asked me. I always thought if someone like him would come to my life how much more interesting it will be. Because of all this reason, I liked him. I know he would never accept someone like me I've seen his girlfriends. They are no less than models. He constantly has a girl beside him. I wish I could be that girl. I was pondering when I heard a knock.
"I'm in," I said mom opened the door.
"Have you eaten anything?" She asked
"Yeah matt took us out for breakfast" I replied. Matt really was an angel. His wife was also different. She was very kind and polite.
"Ok then I'm heading out do you need anything."
"Nope. Do you want me to come?" I asked getting up
"No, you take a rest Damien is going with me. You hardly have any time for yourself." She said going out before I could say anything.
"See you" I muttered.
I decided to get some sleep. Within minutes of laying on my bed, I was asleep.
I got up two hours later. I completed my remaining work had dinner a few hours later and went to sleep.
The next morning I got ready to go out with Chris. I was wearing a knee-length summer dress which was light pink with flowers on it. I tied my hair in a ponytail. I even applied minimum lipstick. I wore my white ballet flats and headed downstairs.
I sat down for breakfast, mom was sitting on the dining table with dad.
"Good morning" I greeted them sitting down
"Good morning. You look good today. Are you going somewhere?" They asked I was not normally dressed like this.
"Yeah. I have to buy some stuff for the festival so we are headed to the market. "
"We?" Dad asked curiously.
"Me and Chris" I replied finishing my breakfast as quickly as I can.
"Ohh. Don't be late." They said.
I grabbed my sling bag.
"Bye." I kissed their cheeks.
I opened I've front door to see Chris standing beside a jeep. He was wearing jeans and a black shirt. His long hair falling on his eyes. He was wearing sunglasses. He looked like a wet dream.
"Stop drooling," he said.
I lifted my hand to wipe the none existent drool
"Caught ya," he said getting towards the passenger side and opening the door for me. I was embarrassed I could see the color rising up to my cheeks. Now I'll look like a tomato.
"I get it I'm handsome but you make it obvious," he said after I got into the car with a little effort since I never sat in a car before. Thank God he ignored it.
"Ok" I said. Cat got my tongue.
"So what are we buying?" He asked getting on the driver's side and starting the car within minutes we were on the main road.
"We have to buy all the decoration material. Matt wrote me a list yesterday. We'll have to just follow it. "
"Easy peasy " he exclaimed
"So faith do you have a boyfriend? " he asked after few minutes of complete silence.
"Nope" I said starting outside. If I saw him I would stare at him. He looks so handsome driving a car. The way his muscles flex. I wanna touch him.
"Any crush?" Woow where is this heading?
"Not that it's any of your business" one day I'm gonna get in trouble because of my tongue.
"I'm sorry. I was just curious. "
He apologized.
"It's ok. I shouldn't have said that. " I was ashamed of myself I could have told him that I was crushing on him. It was a nice opportunity.
"Can you help me with something?" He asked
"Yup" this is the first time he asked for my help.
"One of my friends likes Rene can you help me to know about her so that he can impress her" I should have definitely said no.
But it's his friend right? So I guess no harm in helping someone. If his friend got together with Rene maybe than I can actually get Chris since I saw he was interested in her the other day. But what if that interest was for his friend. Maybe he wants to help his friend.
"Faith will you help me?" He asked not hearing my response.
"Yeah sure." I agreed
What had I gotten myself in you? But maybe it'll benefit me as well.
Won't that make me a bitch? I know there's no hope for us. What is the harm in trying? So first I'll help his friend then I'll confess my feelings to him. It'll definitely end well. It has to.

But it turns out that life has a plan of its own. This was the second thing that led to the events that I'm still regretting.