Always Come Back To You

Jazymn

After getting things set up with the national guard they invite me to one of their zoom calls as a part of training. And thanks to Anthony I was getting pretty good at this zoom thing. I got my own laptop and he helped me set it up so I didn't have to come to him every time I wanted to get on zoom. Once I got the hang of it, it was pretty easy. I don't like being 31 and so out of the loop on everything, but it's not like I had much of a choice.

So I join the call with the army national guard here in Chicago. A lot of the people were already trained and has been helping out the city through this pandemic. I recognized a few of the names but usually the best thing to do in the army is to try and forget so I don't remember everything about them.

We start by introducing ourselves and saying a little bit about the service we have done.

"Hey everyone. I'm Jazmyn Thomas and I am originally from Lexington, Kentucky. I'm not all that country honestly, I lost my accent a while ago and I think I'm okay with that. Growing up there was a lot of fun but both of my parents served so they were pretty strict. I'm the youngest of six kids and all my siblings are brothers. I'm so good at fighting because that's what I've been doing my whole life. Just fighting different things and finding different ways to win.

Anyways, I served from May of 2007 to March of 2020. So about 13 years of service. I've done tours in Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, Pakistan, Uganda and anywhere in between really. I didn't like being one place too long because I get comfortable, I learned the people's names and their lives and I realized I couldn't protect them from this war we brought straight to them. So I would serve a year or two and then go somewhere else then come back if they still needed me. I came back to the states a few times to visit my family but never longer than a month before I was back out there. Doing what I believed was what I was meant to do. And when I needed a break from gun shots and death row I turned to black ops and helped design plans and attack strategies. That was honestly really cool, strategy is a big part of war and to help come up with some things was a nice change of pace. But that was only every so often before I was back in the front lines again. 

But I retired from the army and they gave me a honorable discharge. I did more for my country than anyone should ever have to do. I only had six years before I aged out as a solider anyway. Now I'm still trying to help my country but from inside of it this time" I explain.

"I think you served with my brother" one says and I smile. I recognized his last name so I really wouldn't be surprised.

"What was you brothers name" I question.

"Private Harris" he says.

"I do remember him" I nod. "He is a really good kid. We served together in Syria. Those were some of the toughest times I've ever had there, but he was always strong. Selfless. One hell of a solider. I hope he is doing good" I admit.

His face falls as he lets out a sigh. "He actually got caught in cross fire and had to be sent home. He's in Virginia resting right now, trying to figure out what to do with his life now" the kid explains.

"I'm so sorry" I whisper. "I wish I was there to help him."

At the end of my time I made my way up the ranks to be a General of the Army. The highest rank you can have. And while I loved leading people into battle and getting to know everyone, the losses you endure weigh on your heart a little heavier when you're in command. Those are your men and if something happens it's your responsibility to do something. Leaving them was hard but I couldn't stay in that particular legion without Mathew. I loved my men but no man more than him. And I felt like it was my fault he died. I was the higher ranking officer, I should have went in there, not him. Private Harris was there that night too, he was well aware of what happened and it was hard for him also. Mathew was widely respected no matter his rank. You just lose more than you can ever win and I don't miss that part of fighting. Not at all. Half of the wars we're in we don't need to be. No one is ever going to win these things. But you couldn't tell those soldiers that.

"Don't feel bad, I think he wanted to come home anyway. He told me stories of you, what you did. You saved his life a few times and he remembers them all. Said I would be lucky to serve with you" he claims.

I smile a little as I look into the camera. "Well I'm honored to be here, with all of you. My friends and family aren't happy I'm back in service but this is a decision I made on my own. I'm excited to see what awaits me" I admit.

Once we all introduce ourselves the sergeant explains our role here in Chicago and elsewhere in the state. Really outside of the city there's not much to worry about. Illinois is mostly agriculture which I'm used to, being from Kentucky. It's a lot of soy beans for fuel and livestock for food coming from around here. The national guard does most of its work in the city with politicians, crowd management and keeping order in the city. With Chicago being one of the top cities in covid cases we will still be busy but it gets me out of the apartment a few days a week.

We end our call and I close up the laptop. I decide to leave my room to grab some food. I see Anthony sitting on my couch eating my food watching my tv.

"Alright, I think you're getting too comfortable" I tease.

"I may have been told that a few times" he smirks.

I just roll my eyes and I go to sit next to him. I rest my head on his shoulder as I let out a sigh. "How was your meeting" he asks.

"It was good. I knew a few of the people and they all seem really nice. I'm excited to be able to go out and do stuff again" I admit.

"But you're coming back, right" he asks softly. 

I lift my head to see him already staring right through me. "I'll always come back to you" I promise.