Blue Skies

Jazmyn

Working in a disaster zone is scary, working in a disaster zone without power it is even worse. It's so dark and parents are afraid they'll lose their kids. We have generators to bring some light and heat up meals but it certainly isn't enough. There's hundreds of people in this shelter wanting to know when they can go back home. If there's even a home to come back to at this point. But the water levels were still high and with the winds still whipping around and the water being so unpredictable we're stuck here a few more days.

Luckily they sent some extra help with things like food and supplies along with some extra sets of hands. And I was lucky enough to get a package I knew was from Anthony just from the handwriting on the top. When I was overseas I got sent letters from my parents but we weren't allowed to get anything big or not in the ordinance of what they're allowed to send. And I always looked forward to the letters, I kept every single one. But getting one from Anthony gave me butterflies because I know he did the most with it, even though I asked him not to. This is the first time I'm hearing from him since we lost power a few days ago so I was more than excited to tear into it.

I rip open the box and smile extra big when I saw the letter sitting on the top. I read it once then I read it again because it was so sweet. The little things like this is what will keep me going in the long run. I know I had to be here, but I wanted to be with him more than anything. If I could I would wash away all this water and fly into his arms by the end of this day. Sadly I'm no god, no super human or anything like that. I'm just a girl who's love for her boyfriend is getting to be a bit much.

I rummage through all the things he sent me while eating the chocolate from the water bottle. The box just smelled like home and I couldn't wait to get back.

"You got a package" one of the other National Guardsmen asks and I nod.

"I did! There was a few things I forgot back home so before we lost power I asked my boyfriend to send me some stuff I needed. Then he sent me a bunch of other things because I specifically told him not to" I roll my eyes. I don't know why I would ever expect him not to do the most for me, I should know better by now.

"Looks like he really loves you" Scott says as I smile.

"He does. And I'm so lucky that he does. We met in the pandemic and through a global crisis and national social change and natural disasters and a crazy baseball schedule we still found love. We still found a wonderful life together despite everything.

I know he wasn't happy that I left. He wouldn't say it but he was upset that I was leaving. I was upset I was leaving too. But you've seen it out there, we need all the help we could get and I knew that I could help here. I knew that despite being shot in the leg there's more I could do to help this country. And he understood that too, he just wasn't ready to have to let me go and not know what is going to happen between then and the next time we would see each other again.

But he trusts me, he might not have at first but he does know. I can feel it. Now I have to have that same trust in myself to get my job done here and get back home where I belong" I insist.

"This is almost as bad as being over seas Huh" he asks as I laugh sarcastically.

"Almost. I still can't talk to anyone, I still don't know what I'll see when I open those doors in the morning. I still can't sleep" I admit.

"Sounds about right" he shakes his head. "Remind me why we put ourselves through the heartache and pain" he begs.

"Because there's people out there who is waiting to see the person that they love too, and it's up to us to make sure that they will see each other again" I insist.

"I mean I'm not in love..." he trails off.

"Then do it because it's your job. And if you don't you're a national disgrace" I tease.

"Well I don't want that" he admits.

"There you go" I nod.

He lets me be and I put all my new goodies with my backpack I had with me. At the bottom of the box was a picture of Anthony as one of the things I asked for him to send. Not one of us together, but of him since I left. I wanted a picture from a time where he was without me but he was still happy. I needed to see at least that to not feel like I'm the worst girlfriend in the world.

Of course he gives me pictures of him on the field making fake snow angles because what else would a grown man do when he gets on the field? The man is a child in a grown ups body but that's what I love about him, along with everything else. I can wait to be a child again with him, look into the world with such wonder, not fear. To find the fun in any situation no matter how bland it might seem. There's no time for fun down here, not with so much on the line. We were still trying to social distance and wear masks and use hand sanitizer while fighting this unbelievably strong and I contained force of nature. It was a lot of stress and fear going around.

But one day, hopefully soon, we will all be right where we want to be most. In the arms of loved ones with nothing but blue skies and a happy home.