Quaratine Birthday

Jazmyn

There's a lot of things that sucks about this whole Covid thing. And one of the biggest parts was that my birthday was in the middle of it and I can't even go anywhere. While phase two has just started at the beginning of May, there isn't much that changes for me. I still can't go see the city and all that it offers. I can't see friends or family and I'm stuck inside like I am any other day.

I roll out of bed around 0500 and hop in the shower. I spend a little more time than usual to pamper myself before I change. I come out of the bathroom to see Anthony on my bed just waiting for me.

"Happy birthday" he cheers as he throws confetti into the air. He had a bag next to him with a few balloons that said "happy birthday" tied to it.

"How did you know" I giggle as I toss my PJ's into the laundry basket.

"Your family told me. You left the zoom chat open and they told me your birthday was today and you wouldn't tell me that it was. They feel bad they couldn't be here so they asked me to do something for you" he explains.

"Oh god. They aren't even here and I'm still embarrassed by them" I groan.

"I'm sorry but your family is awesome. And I might still be talking to your brothers even after I got off zoom" he admits.

"Oh man" I mumble.

"Don't worry, they just want to look out for you. I know they give you a hard time, they have no problem admitting that. But they will do anything for you. Your family really loves you" he assures me.

"A little too much" I scoff.

"Come here" he insists as he pats the spot on the bed next to him.

So I walk over and plop myself down. He sets the bag in my lap as I look up at him. "What could you have possibly gotten for me" I ask him.

"Open it and find out" he smirks.

So I take out the stuffing paper and see what all was in here. I find a old fashioned Polaroid camera with film and a case, once we were out of here I know I will be using this every chance I get. I told him how much I loved photography and I joked about getting one of these, now I finally have one. There was also a new pair of workout shoes because mine were getting worn and quite frankly I was tired of Anthony flaming me about them. There was also work out clothes that matched the shoes and some new pots and pans since I already almost destroyed mine in my short time here.

At the bottom I see a picture in a frame and I feel my heart jump. Things like this makes me so happy. I've kept every picture and every letter I've had from when I was over seas, hence why I love photography so much. Sometimes all I had left was these memories, pictures to help me carry on what I had lost.

I pull it out of the bag and hold it up. I see a picture of Anthony and I when we went for a walk all those days ago. The buildings behind us so strong and no one was around. We had our masks on but I can still tell we were smiling. I read the words at the bottom and try not to cry.

"Through thick and thin, through the good and the bad. You make me grin, you make me glad. I could have been stuck with anyone, but I'm happy it's you. For you there isn't a thing that I wouldn't do."

I turn to Anthony with tears threatening to fall as he gives me that cheesy grin.

"You mom says you like the thoughtful kind of things so I came up with this. The camera was your moms gift, told me that you had been looking at them and this is the one you wanted. The shoes are from  Frankie, he has the same pair in mens. The clothes are from the rest of the guys because they know how much working out means to you" he laughs. He wasn't wrong. "But the picture is my favorite. I know you like your pictures, you have a bunch up and you've shown me your army pictures. This is my favorite picture of us. It's actually my wallpaper on my phone" he claims.

"I'm your wallpaper" I ask him.

He starts to blush once he realized what just happened as he starts to back track a little.

"Oh! I mean... yeah. You are" he admits.

"Can I see it" I ask him.

He slowly takes his phone out and hands it to me. I see that it wasn't only that picture, but it wasn't the same one. He had cropped himself out so it was just me. Now it was my turn to blush.

"This is so sweet" I coo as he laughs nervously.

"Thanks. I know we're not, together, per say, but you do make me really happy. You're about the only thing that has made me happy this whole time and I like to be reminded of that" he explains.

"Well I feel silly because my wallpaper is a puppy" I admit as he chuckles.

"Puppies are good too" he assures me.

"Thank you for this" I say as I turn back to the picture. "I haven't been able to celebrate my birthday for years because I was always fighting somewhere. Half the time I went straight through it and didn't even notice. I'm glad I got to spend this birthday with you" I smile.

He sets his hand on my thigh causing me to jump a little. But as the seconds pass I relax into his touch and my heart starts to return to normal. I place my hand on top of his and lace my fingers through them. He picks my hand up and softly kisses the back of it. My skin tingles where he lets his lips linger a little.

He softly placed my hand down and I reluctantly let him go. We just stare into each other's eyes for a little before he smirks. "Why don't we go break in the camera" he suggests.

"Let's do it" I insist.

We use up all the film from the packages and the whole floor of my room was filled with pictures of Anthony and I. He was the friend I always wanted, someone who I can have fun with but who I can also confide in. Being stuck with him might just be the best thing that's ever happened to me. As I look at all the pictures we made, I look at the way he looks at me and how I look at him and I can feel it, deep down that this is something special. It was no coincidence we ran into each other, and it was no coincidence that every moment since then is another chapter in my story.

No matter what happens I hope we will always be friends. Best friends.