Epilogue

Jazmyn

Life always has a way of throwing more things at you than you can handle. And that's not some cheesy baseball punch line, it's some cheesy life punch line. 2020 seemed to be the year where it was blow after blow, losing so many people that the world had to suddenly learn how to live without. From Chadwick Boseman to RBG to Kobe Bryant to Gale Sayers. That on top of the virus and civil unrest and global disagreements made it a hard year, one unlike anyone has ever seen before. Over 250,000 American lost their lives to this virus and people are arguing whether or not we should protect each other by wearing a simple mask. Whether it's up to us to listen to science or the lady in the internet complaining that it's hard to breathe in a mask.

Me? I've been fighting my whole life and what that year has taught me is that the fighting never stops. 2020 was the first time I had been in the states for good since I was a teenager. And I thought that I was done fighting, but it turns out it had just started only the fight was now personal. You can't take the back seat and let life happen to you with no say in it. Not when so much is on the line. But there are things in this life worth fighting for and as long as there is, I will be right there too.

It's now March of 2021. Baseball was about to take over and live was on its way to getting back to normal. But before any of that can happen Anthony and I wanted to get married. Nothing too big, we had a little ceremony planned in Chicago in a intimate venue. There's still restrictions on the number of people in one place and wearing masks albeit nothing like March of last year. It was a beautiful place, Anthony found it all by himself. I had my dress hanging up ready to go in a few days. Trying to plan a wedding and get through spring training was hard but we did it. And in just a few short days I'll finally have my happily ever after before starting a new journey in life as Jazmyn Rizzo.

"Babe, can you come here for a second" I yell from the bedroom. I hear Anthony's heavy feet walk down the hallway and I smile. He lets himself into the room and right over to me.

"What's that" he asks as he points to a little gift box sitting on the bed next to me. It was all done up nice ready to make a certain someone really happy. I hope.

"It's a little early wedding present from me to you" I say.

He perks up like a dog as he sits next to me. He doesn't even ask any more questions as he rips the box open.

Inside there was baby shoes and a baby onesie with his name and number on it. He freezes as he turns to me with tears in his eyes. He couldn't say a word as he just stares at me.

"Baby what does this mean" he whispers.

"I went to the doctor this morning and they don't know how, but I'm pregnant. I guess my tubes weren't as damaged as they originally thought and although I haven't been getting periods, I still got pregnant. I'm about a month and a half along" I explain.

Anthony quickly drops the box and grabs my face with his hands. He pushes me back onto the bed as he gives me a long kiss.

"Oh I'm so happy right now" he whispers on my lips making me smile. My heart was still beating a thousand times a minute because I wasn't sure how he would react. And it's still beating hard because I felt the same amount of excitement he did.

"I think we're going to have to look for a new apartment" I insist.

"Yeah, we can get a nice house. A beautiful one in Wrigleyville next to Grandpa Rossy. That way Barry can have enough room to run around and help us raise the baby. We can make the babies room all nice and hang up a bunch of pictures. We can get a room big enough for it to sleep with us. Oh! Do you think it's a boy or a girl" he asks.

"Baby it doesn't have arms and legs yet I don't know what it'll be. And I don't want you to get ahead of yourself and think that this pregnancy is going to be easy, I still have complications that comes with a damaged Fallopian tubes and developing a baby in there. But since they're both not completely closed I should be able to carry safely. I just have to watch it" I explain.

"We're gonna make you the happiest most comfortable mommy to be. You can actually come travel with us this year and go out a little more. I can have my parents in town whenever we need them to help out around the house. The world is a lot different than when you and I just met" he reminds me.

"Thank god" I mumble as he laughs at me.

"God I can't believe we're having a kid" he sighs with the biggest smile on his face. "I love it so much already."

"I'm not gonna lie, I'm a little scared" I admit.

"What? That you'll be out of shape" he teases as I roll my eyes.

"Ha Ha very funny" I shake my head.

"But seriously, how are you? What do you need from me" he asks me.

I just smile up at him as I softly cup his cheek.

"I just need you to be by my side. I need your love and your mind and I'll be perfectly fine" I assure him.

"I don't understand how you are this..." he trails off.

"Don't say perfect" I warn him as he gives me a shit eating grin.

"Then what are you, if not perfect" he accuses.

"I'm growing. Both physically and emotionally now" I tease.

"And to me you're perfect. Especially in a few days when we get married and I can brag about it" he smiles.

"You're a mess" I accuse.

"Maybe so. But you're the one that fell in love with me" he reminds me.

"Even more proof that I'm not perfect" I joke as he scoffs at me. "I'm kidding! I love you, don't leave" I beg as my fingers tangle in his shirt preventing him from leaving me.

"You're luckily I love you. Through thick and thin" he promises.

"Through thick and thin" I smile.