Chapter 37

I stumbled back in shock and looked at Johnny once more. He looked like he was close to tears too.
"Y/N." Dallas spoke.
"Y-Yes?" I replied.
"Dry off Pony." He said, handing me a towel and one of Buck's shirts with a half smile on his face, "He'll die of pneumonia before the cops catch after 'em."
I walked Pony to the bed and helped him take off his shirt. I wrapped the towel around him and helped him get warm. His breath was still shaking and his skin was ice cold.
He spotted my bra tossed on the bed the looked at me and Dallas, examining.
"Oh, golly." He said, his cheeks turning a shade of pink, "S-Sorry we interrupted y'all."
"No need to apologize, Pony." I reassured him, "Both of you are way more important."
"Thanks Y/N." Pony tried to muster up a smile.
I looked back and saw that Dallas had gave Johnny a gun while telling him important information.
Johnny fumbled and stuffed it into his pocket.
They both walked over to me and Pony and leaned in close.
"Hop on the three-fifteen freight train to Windrixville..." He ordered them, saying slowly so that they could memorize the route. He told them all the things they needed to do and that they could hideout in an abandoned church from the cops.
I looked at both Johnny and Pony with worry. I felt scared and so terribly bad for them, they were they youngest and purest out of the group. Not saying that they were angels, but they had the most innocence in the gang. Now here they were, telling Dallas that they committed a terrible crime and needed to get away. None of it just didn't seem real. And Bob was dead? But why him of all people? I pinched myself to see if this sudden news was all a dream, a nightmare. No. It was real.
Johnny peeped out a small noise and shuddered. He closed his eyes tightly and let out small gasps.
Pony had tears filling in his eyes as he sniffled more.
My motherly instinct had kicked in again for them. I just couldn't bear seeing them like that.
I hugged Pony first and stroked his still cold and wet hair.
"You'll be alright." I spoke softly.
He finally had control over himself and nodded, standing up.
Then I had moved onto Johnny who was biting his nails.
"Johnny." I softly said as I wrapped my arms around him and rubbed his back.
"Y/N, I'm scared." He said in a whisper.
"I-I know. But you're gonna be okay Johnny, I know you didn't mean to. You're gonna be okay."
I hugged me tightly and nuzzled into me.
"Thank you." He said.
"I'm gonna miss you." I said.
"Me too."
"Be careful, don't get yourself into anymore trouble."
"Mmhmm."
We pulled away from the hug and Dallas escorted them out the room.
I was left alone again in the room. I fell back on the bed in shock. I had pinched myself so many times in that short amount of time that I had gained a small bruise on my forearm.
Dallas came back and climbed into bed with me.
"Do you think they're gonna be okay?" I asked worriedly.
"I'm sure they will." Dallas replied, "I know my way around any crime. The paper won't be out yet, which buys them time to get to the hideout. But we can't tell all of this to the gang, okay Y/N?"
I nodded and he pulled me close to his chest.
"Lordy." Dallas said in a low chuckle, "Never thought Johnny could do something like that."
I looked up at Dallas. He seemed to be proud of Johnny. But then I took a look closer and saw there was a hint of worry.
I still wasn't able to sleep that night.

~Two days later~

I still hadn't seen the gang, I was afraid to. Especially Soda and Darry, reacting to Pony running away for who knows how long.
Today, I was walking alone to the Curtis house. Dallas said he'd meet me there. I had skipped breakfast again. Every time I was nervous, I never seemed to have an appetite for anything.
I took a deep breath and opened the door. No one had noticed me walk inside.
"Where are they, Dal?" Soda eyed at him with suspicion.
"I dunno." Dallas simply shrugged.
Soda let out a heavy sigh and paced back and forth around the room. He had bags under his eyes, he didn't get enough sleep. Maybe even none.
"Pony...I'm sorry." I heard Darry whisper, "I didn't mean to, I didn't mean to."
He slumped down on his chair and ran his fingers through his hair. He looked so painfully worried and sad.
"Shit, Johnny did that?" Steve sat in disbelief, staring at the ceiling.
"There's no way Johnny could do that." Soda shook his head, "He carried a switchblade but I didn't think he would use it on some random Soc dude for no reason. It had to be something bad, real bad."
"They could be anywhere now." Two said a rarely serious tone, "I've even searched everywhere 'round here. I'm thinking they could be in Texas."
"Texas?" Steve looked at him with confusion.
"I dunno, alright?! Not my best idea but it isn't bad. They could be...but I ain't got money or cash to go there."
Everyone kept arguing and thinking about the incident.
I saw on the table that there was a newspaper. I picked it up and saw that Pony and Johnny were really wanted. Their descriptions were detailed from the tiniest flaw to when they were last seen.
I hurriedly put it back down. Everyone started talking louder than before, it was practically gibberish now.
Darry had got up and punched the wall with sudden anger. The loud bang quickly caused a dead silence.
"It's all my fault!" Darry yelled, putting his forehead on the wall.
"Darry, no it wasn't!" Soda went and comforted him.
"No! You're wrong, Soda. If I hadn't yelled at Pony for accidentally coming home late, if I hadn't slapped him...he wouldn't have ran out the house and gotten into trouble along with Johnny. Now, when the cops find him..."
He took a deep breath and punched the wall again. Soda's face seemed to drain of color even more now.
"W-What?" I spoke quietly.
"They'll stick me and Pony in a boy's home." Soda said with a tiny chuckle yet a sad face, "We'll be separated."
A small gasp escaped from me. Everyone nodded, they already knew.
Darry said he slapped Pony, that explained his red cheek I saw that night.
"Who's the Soc Johnny killed again?" Steve asked.
"B-Bob." I replied, feeling myself getting pale.
Dallas put his arm around me and gripped my shoulder, remembering the time when he had to save me from Bob.
I decided to not tell them what happened to me but rather, what I found out about him.
"I haven't told you guys." I spoke up, "Not even Dal. But Bob was the same guy who jumped Johnny."
Everyone's eyes widened.
"Why didn't you tell me this?" Dallas looked down at me.
"I just didn't want more trouble and fighting to cause." I explained, "And telling cops wouldn't do any good for you guys."
"How do you know it's the guy?" Soda asked.
"He said that he'd jumped a black haired greaser. I thought nothing of it at first, but then I saw he had rings."
Everyone became silent again.
"So." Dallas spoke, "That dead bastard must've done something to make Johnny stab him..."
Johnny had dirt covered all over the back of his Jean Jack and pants. Pony was soaking wet when he came to us. I was wondering if there was water source outside in our neighborhood...the fountain at the park.
Everything was coming together. While I was deeply thinking and biting my nail, they all looked at me with concern.
"Y/N, you alright?" Steve asked.
"Uh...yeah, yeah." I said. I looked at Dallas, "Can we talk?"
"Sure."
We went outside on the porch and made sure no one could hear us.
"Do we still keep their hideout a secret?" I asked.
"Yes. More people knowing means a bigger chance of the word getting out."
"We can't tell them about when they came over to Buck's too?"
"Yes. They'll bug me even more than they already are. I think Soda's caught on but I know he won't do anything bad."
"I see. Um-Dallas, I think I know what happened to make Johnny kill Bob."
"I think so too."
"Really?" I looked at him with disbelief.
"Yeah. Pieced it together the moment they arrived. I don't look it but I am smart. I've committed too many crimes and getaways to count that I know how to smart my way off the fuzz."
"But they all told me that you gotten thrown in jail too many times to count." I cocked an eyebrow.
"Okay, yes." He chuckled, "That's true but I have gotten away a lot."
"I don't think that's something to be proud of." I chuckled.
"Well, at least it saves Johnny and Pony." He shrugged.
"Touché." I nodded.
We finally went back inside and everyone had calmed down. Soda decided to lighten up the worrisome mood in the household.
"Hey, I'm kinda hungry." He suggested, "Why don't we all get a bite to eat? Let's go to the dingo, you know, have some fun and what not. Who knows? We might find another good fight there."
Everyone smiled and nodded, giving up the stress just for a day. Soda always made everyone have a good time.
"Darry?" Soda asked, rubbing Darry's slouching back, "Ya comin?"
"No, go on ahead." He mumbled.
Soda nodded and for a second, his smile faded.
I felt so awful for the Curtis brothers, they're all they got.
We all walked to the dingo as a group. Well, Dally always held my hand to keep me close, which I always liked.
We reached the dingo and there was no fighting yet, which gave us time and space to get our food. I wasn't hungry so I didn't order anything.
We stepped outside and everyone dug into their bags. Dallas noticed I was empty handed.
"Did you eat today, Y/N?" Dallas asked me.
"Um, no actually." I responded.
"You better eat something or you'll starve, I'll buy you anything you want."
"No, I'm good. Just not hungry is all, it'll pass."
"But usually you eat a lot here, was it about Johnny and Pony?"
"...I guess."
"It's fine. I won't push you. But promise me you'll eat something later."
"Okay." I rolled my eyes.
"Come here, you." Dallas growled.
He quickly pulled me in by the waist, making me squeal. He kissed me passionately until a honk of a car interrupted us.
It drove in front of us, parked, and stopped. By the looks of the car, they were Socs.
Everyone eyed at the car, Dallas stepped in front of me.
The car doors opened, revealing it was Randy and Cherry.