Chapter 20

It had been a week ever since Johnny was jumped, he was still scared out of his mind.
Johnny was afraid to even step outside without someone with him. If he had to go alone, he always had a switchblade in his pocket.
His wounds were starting to heal a bit but he still needed to wear bandages. I knew that they would leave scars on him for a long time.
I took care of him often, I guess my motherly instinct kicked in for him even when I was only a few months older than him.
Two, Steve, and Soda wanted to look for the Soc with rings that Johnny told us about. They kept a sharp eye for him everywhere they went just in case they found him.
Dally was nowhere to be found, he didn't even visit Johnny. He was probably afraid to see Johnny look so beat up.
I was in my room one afternoon, just drawing while listening to music.
I heard knocking on my door so I turned off my music.
"Just a minute!" I called out.
I unlocked the door and opened. I almost choked when I saw who it was.
Dallas Winston was on my doorstep.
"Hey." He greeted with a smirk.
"Wha-What are you doing here?!" I asked him, "And how do you know where I live?!"
"I asked Soda a few weeks ago, just came to stop by 'cus haven't seen you in a while." He said as he peeked inside my house, "Got a pretty nice place here."
"It's only been a week, Dallas." I said in a low voice, "Sounds like you're getting clingy for me."
"Hey, hey, no need to get testy, Y/N."
I sighed and shook my head, laughing a bit. Then my eyes widened.
"Wait, you shouldn't be here or my mom would kill you and me."
"Why?"
I cocked an eyebrow and crossed my arms.
"Um, why?" I slightly chuckled, repeating what he said, "We moved again because of what happened with you and me in the past. I gave her a description of you years ago and I'm pretty sure she remembers how you look. I never told her that I met you again but if she knows or even sees me with you, the guy who bullied me, I won't ever see you again. Maybe even the gang too. Plus, she would go nuts if I stayed with a boy alone, especially you."
"Won't ever see you again? Wow, I never knew you liked me so much you don't want to get rid of me." He teased me. I shot back a look but he still continued, "Well, we've made up I guess...and we're just friends, we aren't doing anything bad. Unless you want to."
He gave me a mischievous smirk. I shoved him.
"In your dreams Dallas Winston." I said, rolling my eyes.
"Hehe, I'll catch ya later then." He chuckled as he shoved his hands in his pockets and hunched over.
Then I remembered my mom wasn't home. He was about to turn around and leave when I stopped him.
"Hey, wait." I said as I grabbed his shoulder, "My mom isn't home, I guess you can come inside. I think she won't be here for the entire day because she has work."
"Hehe, she's rebellious too." Dallas teased me.
I laughed and punched his elbow slightly.
I lead him inside my house and into my room.
He looked around and explored through my things.
"Hey, is this you?" He laughed as he pointed at a picture.
It was a baby picture of me. I yelped and took the picture away, hiding it with embarrassment.
"No!" I denied.
He only smiled and continued looking around my room.
"So, how's Johnny?" He asked seriously as while still had his eyes glued to the pictures on my desk.
"Well, he's doing a bit better..." I responded as I sat down on my bed.
I told him everything about how Johnny was doing.
"Oh..." Dallas mumbled in a low voice, "I just couldn't bring myself to see him, ya know? He just didn't look like himself...I wish I was with him, man."
Dally still carried that burden with him even though it wasn't his fault.
Dally wanted to move on from the subject. He grabbed a photo of me taken on picture day in third grade, the first year I moved to this neighborhood.
"Your looks didn't really change." He pointed out, "Just your hair, ever think about getting it cut?"
"Yes, actually." I said as I played with my messy, long locks, "But I don't really care."
He looked at the photo again and smiled at little me. Then his face turned into a frown. He quickly put the photo back where it was and moved on.
I looked at him with confusion a bit, I wondered why he suddenly did that.
He found the drawing I was sketching and eyed it.
I turned red with embarrassment, I couldn't believe I'm letting him look at all my stuff.
"I remember when you had the notebook and class and started drawing, I finally get to see your work." He said as he studied the details.
"Yeah, I remember." I giggled, "And you kept looking over my shoulder to take a peek, Nosy."
He laughed and handed me the notebook.
"Do want something to drink?" I offered him.
"Craving a beer but I don't think you have that stuff so I guess water's fine." He responded coolly.
I rolled my eyes again at his comments.
I came back with cold tap water and saw him holding a small picture in his hand.
It was me and my father.
His face became serious yet his eyebrows relaxed a bit when he looked at it closely.
I looked over his shoulder and saw my dad and I laughing and hugging each other in the small photo.
I smiled at the bittersweet moment I from that picture.
"My father passed away when I was in first grade." I softly explained, he still didn't look away from the picture, "He went out to get some lunch when he got caught in a hit and run accident when he was walking on the street. Dad was my favorite person in the world and I always had so much to tell him everyday. But when I got the news that I would never see him again, I don't know...I just, stopped talking to everyone, well, except mom. I still miss him."
I saw his eyes widen a bit and dart at me when I said I stopped talking after my dad passed. Now he knew the reason I was mute after all this time.
A silence filled the room as Dallas stood there, touching my dad's laughing face with a finger.
"What's it like having a caring father?" He asked quietly, like a curious child.
My eyes widened a bit, I forgot that Dal told me he never had a caring father before.
I paused for a moment then I answered him.
"It's really nice." I simply said.
"That's cool." He said as he put the picture back, "You and the Curtis bros are lucky, man. Got great dads."
He shoved his hands in his pockets and looked down at the floor, he looked like he was starting to move to tears.
"Hey, you alright?" I asked him with worry.
"Uh, yeah yeah." He said as he cleared his throat and brought himself back together, "It don't bother me, not at all."
I gave him a warm smile.
"It's nice talking with you Dallas Winston." I said, "I haven't had a long, genuine and personal conversation ever since my father. Thank you."
Dallas looked at me with surprise a little bit. Then he flashed me his famous smirk and nodded.
"Oh wait." He said, scratching his head and looking away, "I'm thinking about going out and doing something fun, do ya wanna come?"
"With the gang?" I asked.
"No, I was thinking just you and me."
I felt butterflies starting to form in my stomach and my body temperature rising.
"We can go now." I suggested as I bit my lip.
"Deal." He agreed as we both walked out of the door.