Chapter 49

I clutched the flowers in my arm as I walked into the hospital. Her other ones started to wilt so I bought more. Yes, I did not steal them this time.
Day thirteen. A little over two week ever since she was in a coma. There was no sign of when she would wake up but her health was starting to come back to normal. But there was still an uncertainty in the air like dust particles.
Her room was open often now which was nice because I didn't have to ask for permission. They already knew why I was there everyday anyway.
I walked in and smiled softly when I saw her face. The window left a ray of sunshine that fell upon her face. She looked so beautiful, I didn't deserve an angel like her.
I took the wilting, brown flowers out of the vase and dropped them into the trash can. I set down the bouquet and went to the sink across her bed to fill up the vase. The faucet let out a metallic groan and spurted a weak stream of water that slowly filled the glass vase. Once it was a quarter full, I set the vase down by her side and pulled the flowers out from the crinkling plastic that surrounded them. In a silence, I rearranged them to make them presentable.
I finally pulled my hands away from the flowers and wiped them on my pants.
"Do ya think they look nice?" I asked, looking at the flowers.
No answer. Only her steady breathing. I missed her so much that I was talking like a crazy person.
"I think they're alright." I shrugged.
I exhaled and crouched down by her bed. I wove my hand into hers and held them tightly. I missed when she held back.
I stared at her heart monitor. A good heart beat and she seemed fine. I looked at the balloons Two-Bit and Steve had brought. I knew Two picked them out because they were all "Get Well Soon" balloons with Mickey Mouse on them. They had little dents for they stayed there a few days.
Pony, Soda, and Darry all worked together to make a card for her that laid on the table unopened.
Johnny got a little teddy bear that sat by it. I found it creepy.
For the past two weeks, her mom offered me to stay at her place because she knew I didn't have a home to call my own. I took the offer because I had nothing to do and I wanted to sleep in a nice bed.
She did not only give me that, but clean clothes, a hot shower, and comfort food. It felt great to experience these normal things but I felt awkward there. It wasn't my place but she insisted on making myself at home. The whole time I found myself red and quiet. At last no one else was there to see me so soft.
I dreamily smiled at how I realized people actually cared about me. No one ever did, at least I thought so but now I felt so grateful. But still, Y/N was the one who cared the most. She risked her life for me, I didn't want to let her go.
I rubbed her hand and studied her face. I hadn't seen her captivating, shy yet happy eyes in what seemed like years.
"I miss you, Doll Face." I said in a raspy tone, "You're here, but you ain't here...ya know?"
No movement. No answer.
"I-I want to do things with you again." I confessed with no shame, "Anything at all. I want to play tag at the park, go to the dingo, or the Curtis place where we can be a couple again."
I waited in the deafness in the room. I squeezed her hand.
"Please!" I cried out, "I want you to wake up! I want you to be okay! Wh-Why won't you say something dammit! I'll do anything!"
Still nothing. He felt like crying but I didn't. I swallowed, feeling my throat bob up and down.
I let go of her limp hand and stood up, looking miserably at the floor.
"I want you to hear your voice." I said with sadness attached to my words, "Just say something, anything."
I waited for a few seconds then turned to leave. I knew it was pointless but I was desperate.
I ran my fingers through my hair and roughly opened the door when I heard a small groan.
I spun around quickly with my eyes wide open and my ears up like a dog. Nothing had appeared changed. You scanned the room once more before turning my back again to walk out.
The groan was a bit louder and drawled more.
"Y/N?!" I exclaimed, tracing the moan to her.
She was silent and I was beginning to get frustrated with myself.
But then her finger started to move.
"Holy Shit!" I gasped sliding down to my knees to meet face to face, "Come on! Do it again! Please Y/N!"
Her fingers started to twitch and move. I let out a cheer and held her hand. I felt her very lightly squeeze.
My thoughts and emotions were rushing so fast that I couldn't keep up. Her head started to tilt and she groaned.
Her eyes started to slowly flutter open. I was gasping out in surprise and happiness with tears building up in my eyes, stinging me but I didn't care at all.
When the were partly open, she slowly glanced across the room and her eyes fell on my.
"D...Da-Dal." She said in a whisper.
"Yes! Yes!" I started to sob.
She smiled softly through the breathing mask.
A wave of relief and triumph rushed sm through me as I let go. I sobbed into the bed sheet and I felt her finger stroke my face.
"I-I missed y-you so fucking much!" I bawled, "D-Don't do that again! I'm so sorry!"
My cried had alerted the staff and stood smiling at the doorway.
"C-Come here." She whispered.
I hovered over her and touched her face while my other hand softly held hers.
I felt the breathing mask which blocked me from her lips.
"Can I?" I asked the staff, which they approved for a moment.
They took it off and I immediately kissed her softly yet passionately. She moaned happily and kissed back.
"How long was I out?" She asked weakly through the kiss.
"A little over two weeks." I chuckled.
Her eyes slightly widened but she smiled.
"I'm glad I'm alive and that you are too." She said so quietly, "I'm sorry I made you worry."
"That don't matter." I shook my head, "It's all in the past now."
A tear rolled down her cheek and I rubbed it away. She knew that I had changed into a better person.
"I love you." She breathed out.
"I love you too." I said back instantly.
We pressed our foreheads together, crying and in love.
We both changed because of each other. We lost each other but now we were back. I could finally be with her again after all this time.
The Doll Face Freak I fell in love with was back with me again. And I am never going to let her get harmed ever again.