Governance

The next debate was almost on them and in the following days, Mo Yuan had counseled her in the many etiquettes, rules and protocols of the Celestial Heavens and Di Juns Palace in particular. Taichen Hall was not large compared to many of the others she had visited so far, so the guests had been carefully picked so the numbers attending would be small.

"Only those who had competed in the Grand Final will be invited along with a few others he has deemed worthy." Mo Yuan explained.

"And what is his criteria?" she asked screwing her face up thinking the oldest god in the world was a snob to disallow the new comers and all because they didn't have the experience. "I was under the impression that every debate carried an open invitation. Even the Grand Final is open to all so long as one had a good grasp of the basics and his decision will only hinder those wanting to enter." she added and not at all happy with Di Juns decision.

Understanding that look all too well, Mo Yuan shook his head. Her moods lately had been rather unpredictable and at times unpleasant as it was now.. He understood his presence in her home was beginning to wear thin and though he did allow her the personal space she wanted, he soon came to realize that she was feeling a little overwhelmed by the changes he had brought with him.

The date nights were special and he put in a lot of effort to create a relaxing atmosphere that would make her smile which had been his only aim, and each time she seemed to enjoy herself, even going so far as to kiss him when the mood took her. Though most times, he kissed her and only because he loved to feel her in his arms, and her soft sweet lips pressing in against his own.

But he was an astute man who could sense when things were perhaps going to fast. The blushing, the way she would pull back when things got too heated and the inability to meet his eye afterwards, suggested he needed to slow down, so he did understand the sudden change in mood. If anything, she was scared and he could feel it even now and the only thing he could do was to lighten the mood.

"Dearest. He is the epitome of Taoism and one of the few men in this world who understands and practices its teachings. So only those he has deemed capable of debating what will be an entertaining afternoon, will be invited. So pick that lip up and think about what topics he might introduce." Mo Yuan chided her softly, though lightly in jest just to see her smile.

"Honestly, you sound just how I imagine him to be. Boring, insufferable and stuffy." she sighed seeing as Mo Yuan was now fully into the preparations for a debate that only he was excited about.

"Come now. You have barely shared two words with the man. I can guarantee the debate he will offer will have even you struggling to keep up with him." Mo Yuans voice hitched as the laughter beneath the surface threatened to bubble over, but she was not having a bar of it and nor would she allow him to lead her away from an argument he could feel brewing.

"That is not the point. Those who are still learning and wanting to increase their knowledge are being denied what has always been a right to attend. If anything, I consider his decision arrogant and condescending."

The small smile on his face only irritated her, but she kept as calm as possible even though she wanted to slap that smile off his face. She had no real idea why she was so irritated by him, but the longer he sat there looking at her as if she was an insolent child, only increased the irritation.

"Unfortunately, there is nothing either of us can do about it dear, Di Juns rank is higher than the both of us, it's his decision. So why don't we just let it go for now?" he tried a different tactic which seemed to be working because the scowl was slowly slipping.

"Fine. But I don't need to prepare for it Mo Yuan. I will just take it as it comes, it is how I have approached every other debate." she replied with a shake of her own head.