chapter 5: The puzzle's trap

Izuku, Charlie, Vaggie and Tokoyami could only scream as they were flung through a vortex of red and black while shadows clawed at the corner of their vision. Their luggage gripped tightly in their hands while Dark shadow gave a very feminine scream of exilleration, clutching to Tokoyami's shoulders with a unhinged gleam in its eyes.

With a sudden thump they found themselves slamming into a large bed with messy sheets. A bronze puzzle box twisted into a small monolith sat discarded on the middle, the door wide open and a chair tipped haphazardly in the way.

"This, isn't my house." Tokoyami groaned as he shook his head as if to lessen the dizziness he was experiencing.

"Then, where are we?" Charlie asked as she looked around before noticing the puzzle box. " Oh no."

"Fuck." Vaggie agreed as she summoned her usual spear.

"Um, what is that?" Izuku asked as he went to pick up the puzzle box only to receive a small shock. "Ow!"

"A lament configuration." Tokoyami stated in shock, his eyes wide. " This place is not safe."

As if to cement his statement a scream was heard from downstairs. Without thinking Izuku charged out the room, ignoring both Vaggie and Charlie's words of caution as the door locked behind him and Tokoyami continued to eye the corners of the room with distrust, his frown deepening as something moved in the shadows.

Coming down the stairs izuku almost puked at the sight before him. Two dead people in a pool of growing blood as a being from one of the hells dragged a busty black haired girl closer to him using a chain wrapped around her throat. She struggled, her hands gripping and pulling the chain even as they bled while her feet slowly slid forwards, unable to gain a foothold on the bloody carpet.

"Let her go!" Izuku shouted as he jumped at the young woman and tried to help her pull against the chain.

"You have no business here young prince." The being spat in anger. "She has opened the gateway and I shall claim my price."

"The Caine you will!" Izuku shouted as he grabbed at the chain and began to pull. The links began to groan in protest as a sickly emerald fire included his entire skull revealing the bone underneath as a pair of curved horns grew atop his skull.

"A mere flame? The child is but a flame user?" The being gave a loud, cruel laugh as he still casually dragged the chain closer. " How unimpressive."

"Yeah fuck you too." Izuku snarled, his voice raspy as the chain began to glow first orange then white before with a final groan and shriek it snapped making the two stumble slightly while the being remained unaffected. "Get your caine damned ass back to whatever area of Hell you came from now!"

The being frowned slightly, dipping his nail covered head. "Very well, I cannot go against the wishes of her highness's family but know this, I will return." They spat before fading into the shadows of the room.

"Are you okay?" Izuku asked the girl who sunk to her knees, shaking fearfully. A nasty red cut circled her throat and jagged cuts marred her hands. Crouching down in the blood izuku put his skeletal hands on the girl's shoulders in concern as she stared ahead blankly.

"Izuku!" Charlie called as she rushed down the stairs, a sparking puzzle in her hands with Tokoyami and Vaggie fighting off a weird beast that clung upside down from the walls using its legs. "She needs to close the portal!"