Chapter 15

Hannah

"Hey, I'm home!" I yell as I step into the house. I hear Jules' footsteps come closer as I take a seat on the sofa.

"Don't you dare 'hey' me. I was worried sick. Where the hell have you been? It's been four fucking days."

Four? Geez,

After me and Micheal's little 'hook-up', which was only supposed to be a one-time thing, he offered me an arrangement. He said it was kind of like a friend with benefits kind of thing, but he didn't want to call it that for some reason.

I knew I didn't want the fun to end just yet, so of course, I agreed to it. It was something I had never tried before. Liberating, thrilling, like I was finally breaking out of my shell.

I hadn't realised it had been four days though. I fidget with the hem of my shirt as I speak, "Um, so you see, the 'one time thing' you suggested kind of lead to more."

She stares at me in shock, which switches to anger almost instantly. "So this whole time I've been looking, searching, worrying, while you've been getting your back blown out this whole time. You couldn't even send a text? And don't you dare give me that, 'I was busy' excuse, that's my line."

"I'm so sorry Jules. You're absolutely right. I should have called and I'm wrong about that. I promise I won't see him ever again."

"It's fine dong worry. Next time just call or text, okay?"

"Okay."

"And you will continue to see him. You need this. For once you should stop being a goodie two shoes. Have some fun you know? Now tell me, how was the sex?"

I blush furiously at the mention of sex. This boosts my mood immediately. "Jules when I tell you I've never felt that way in my life. He's just so passionate but sweet at the same time. I know it sounds weird to say Micheal is sweet since he fires someone new like every day. I know I shouldn't get attached to him because of sex b-"

Jules cut me off by putting a finger to my lips. "I don't want all the details. As long as you guys use protection and he's satisfying you, I don't need to hear anything else."

"Jules, there's one other thing. I um, I think I uh, I-"

"Spit it out, woman!"

" I like him! I like Brick alright!"

I assume Jules is going to get mad at me but instead she smiles widely.

"I know."

"What? How?"

"I guess you'll never know." She replies, walking away. "I'm glad you're safe. I'm going to bed. Goodnight, Han."

"Oh, okay. Goodnight!"

I thought it was weird and suspicious at her knowledge of knowing I liked Micheal but I don't over think it.

•••

When I arrived at work, this morning I noticed Micheal's weird behavior immediately. Normally, I walk in, do some work, then we let the sex commence. But when I walked in today, he didn't spare a glance in my direction.

I told him good morning, no reply. I told him good afternoon when it hit noon. Still no reply. He didn't even flirt with me as I was eating my lunch. By the time it hits five, I have come to the conclusion that I did something wrong.

I go into the bathroom in disappointment after Micheal doesn't reply to me for the fifth time. I was on the verge of crying and I couldn't let that happen. The only solution I had was to talk to Jules.

"Hello?" she says after the third ring.

"He is mad at me. I think I did something wrong." I respond with tears in my eyes.

"Hey, Hannah, what happened? Why are you crying? Who do I have to kill, girl?"

"Michael is mad at me. He hasn't spoken to me all day and has been tense all day. I know he's hiding something."

"Hannah, listen to me. Stop crying. If you did something wrong, he needs to tell you. So you're going to walk your ass in there and demand answers."

I was about to say no instantly, but she was right. I may be sensitive, but I am not a coward. I was a grown woman now, and it was about time I started standing up for myself.

"You're right, Jules. You're right, I deserve to know." I say and hang up.

I fix my makeup and give myself a pep talk before leaving the bathroom. I stride inside of his office and stand in front of his desk.

"Ms. Brown-"

"Don't Ms. Brown me. I demand answers. Why are you treating me like I don't exist? You can't treat me like this. I know we are just fuck buddies or whatever you want to call it, but I think I should know why. So talk."

"Hannah, I don't have time for this. Go sit somewhere. I'll see you at my house, okay?" He says, rubbing his head and trying to brush me off.

Oh hell no, you are not going to get off that easy.

"I didn't think it would have to come down to this, but it has, unfortunately. If you don't tell me, we're not going to, you know, anymore."

He finally looks up at me and I smile.

Ha, I knew that would get his attention.

"We're not going to what?" He asks, staring at me amusingly.

"We're not going to have sex anymore. So if you don't tell me why you're upset with me, you can kiss this pussy goodbye." I reply, folding my arms.

I sounded way more confident than I actually was. I don't know when I became so bold. I liked it and hated it at the same time.

He sighs, gets up from his chair and starts walking towards me. "First of all, we both know you couldn't do that. I'm way too hot for that." He says, and I roll my eyes. He was right though. I was obsessed with his body.

"Second, I'm not mad at you. Just thinking about a lot of stuff."

"You're lying to me, Michael. If it's work, you could have just told me to fix it. That's my job, anyway. You're mad at me, just say it."

He walks away from me and begins running a hand through his curls as he paces around the office.

"God dammit, Hannah. I'm not mad at you, so stop saying that."

"Then what is the problem? You've barely said a word to me all day."

"You really want to know?" He responds and stops pacing.

"Obviously."

"Alright look, there's this party in a few days. I wanted to ask if you might want to go with me or whatever."

That's it? That's why he's been acting all tense? Over a party? I don't whether I should smile or roll my eyes.

"Just forget it. Forget I said anything." He says, walking back to his desk.

I stand there for a moment as he runs a hand through his hair. As I am about to say something, he turns back around.

"Wait,"

"I would love to go with you." I reply, trying to hold back my smile.