thirty eight

TW: Sex
If you are uncomfortable with this then view the end of the chapter for a summary.

• • • • •

July 31st, 1978

The keys jingled in my left hand as my right hand was intertwined with James'. After about a month of looking, we bought a townhouse.

We decided on London, at least until we're older and ready to start a family.

As soon as I stepped foot in the townhouse for the first time a couple of weeks ago, I knew it was 'the one'. It's two stories, complete with three bedrooms, two bathrooms, a kitchen, and a living room, it was the perfect place for us to live for the time being.

It was in a wizard neighborhood of London, which meant that we were already hooked up to the Floo Network, and could apparate without having to worry about any muggle onlookers.

"Want to do the honors, darling?" James asked as reached the front door of our new home.

I held up my key, "I'm so excited!"

James grinned and pressed a quick kiss against my lips. When he pulled away he gestured towards the door, "Oh come on, I can't wait to start moving in."

I rolled my eyes at James and turned my key in the lock, unlocking the door with a click. I grinned at James one more time before opening the door to our home and stepping inside.

The townhouse was empty, letting the sunshine in through the front bay window and illuminate every inch of the room.

James wrapped his arm around me from behind and rested his chin on my shoulder. He sighed, "How's it feel to be a homeowner?"

I turned my head slightly to look at him, "It's lovely, especially since it's with you."

James spun me in his arms to face him and tucked my hair behind my ears. With a grin plastered on his face, he leaned in and kissed me.

My arms instinctively wrapped themselves around his neck as I leaned into his lean frame.

When we finally parted from our kiss, both of us were grinning widely.

"I'm so happy that you're the one I own a house with," James said, "The one I want to many, the one who I want to have my children."

I smiled, "And I'm so happy that I get to be that for you, mon chéri."

James' hands fiddled nervously on my hips.

"I'm so in love with you, and I'm going to keep you safe." James said softly as he gazed into my eyes. "I can't believe I even got that first date with you, let alone two and a half years."

My eyes were locked with James' hazel ones.

The sun shining in through the window illuminated and the dark blue specks in his eyes, and made his eyes look like pools of honey.

James took a deep breath as he pulled away from my embrace. His hand reached into his pants pocket. He pulled out a small black velvet box as he got down on one knee.

He cracked up the lid of the box to reveal a gorgeous ring, with a large round-cut diamond.

My hand clapped against my mouth as I looked at the scene in front of me.

James Potter, on one knee, with an engagement ring, in the foyer of our new house.

"Daphne Jane Beaufort, it's you and me, always and forever." James sighed, "Will you make the happiest man alive and marry me?"