thirty nine

August 20th, 1978

As much as James and I were ready to start on the whole wedding planning thing, we still had another wedding to go through before ours.

After what seemed like the longest engagement, the day of Frank and Alice's wedding was here.

I fiddled with the hem of my bridesmaid dress as we all sat around a large bedroom in the Longbottom's house. Frank and the other men were in another room all getting ready, while all of us girls were in here helping Alice get ready.

Alice was pacing the room nervously, "I can't believe it, I can't believe that we're getting married."

Lily grabbed Alice's fiddling hands, "Calm down, you love him, he loves you."

The redhead shot a glance at Marlene, who sat up straight as she reached for another melon ball. "Yeah, Lils is right, everything's going to be fine." Marlene stated.

"That's true," Jolie added, "But if it's not-,"

I hit Jolie in the arm, "Shut up, this wedding is happening."

Dorcas stifled a laugh, "You still have time to make a getaway, but I highly recommend that you don't."

"I'm not going to be a runaway bride," Alice announced, "It's just pre-wedding jitters!"

I took a swig of my mimosa before speaking, "Exactly, you will be walking down that aisle, and Frank, the love of your life will be there."

"Please sit down so I can finish your hair." Lily stated sweetly, but sternly. It was about time to get this show on the road.

Jolie refilled her glass with some champagne, "I do love these dresses though, they're quite comfy."

All of our bridesmaid's dresses were a pale blue, corresponding with the color theme of the wedding, but they were all different in one way or another. So we matched, but it wasn't tacky.

Alice sighed nervously, "Good, I'm glad. Do you think everything is-"

There was a knock on the door, interrupting the bride to be.

I set my glass down on the coffee table and stood up, smoothing out the nonexistent wrinkles on my dress.  I walked over to the door and peeked my head out.

James was standing there.

I grinned at him and stepped out into the hallway, closing the door behind me.

He pressed a kiss to my cheek, "You look gorgeous, Daph."

"Thank you, and you look very good."

James tucked a stray strand of hair from my updo behind my ear, "I'm the messenger apparently, so I came to make sure that you lot will be ready in five minutes."

"We will," I replied, "Is that the only reason you came here?"

James grinned as he wrapped his arms around my waist, "Of course not, I also wanted to see you."

I kissed him softly.

"I can't believe this will be us in only a few months." I confessed, gazing into James' hazel eyes.

James smirked, "Not having second thoughts, are you?"

"Of course not, I can't wait."

"Me neither."

I kissed James on the cheek, "I'll see you down there."

He smiled, "I'll see you down there, mon amour."