Chap. 22

"Look, whether you like it or not, you're listening."

Eli let out a muffled yell before Aesop tightened his grip around him again. He winced, and, grudgingly, fell silent. Aesop moved his hand away.

"Ha...Now that all this is settled, let me explain. I don't care much for rumours, they die down eventually. Plus, even if it's true. If, Eli Clark, if. I don't see anything wrong with a guy liking another guy."

"But-"

'But what? Tell me, Mr Clark. Why do you think it's wrong?"

"I don't know...My parents always told me that as a kid. That people can only like others who are their opposite gender, and anything else is going against the rules of Nature."

"Tch, rules of Nature up my ass. Screw them. Look if I told you right now I liked you what would you do?"

"Wha- Uh...I uh...I don't know..."

Aesop sighed and let go of Eli's arms, unravelling his tie from his wrists. He didn't want to persist anymore as Eli was starting to look uncomfortable. He slid it around his neck once again and made towards the door. Eli remained silent, standing by his desk as Aesop left.

"Oh yes, you can move to the upper floor offices if you want, seeing as that doorknob..."

Aesop trailed off, a little stunned at how much strength he had used to open the door forcefully. He looked over at Eli, who was still shaken and felt guilt strike through him. He turned and went to Eli, slowly wrapping him in a hug. The executive flinched a little, but allowed himself sink into that familiar scent of leather and lavender. He shamelessly allowed himself to bury his face into Aesop's chest and hugged him close.

"Mom and dad always told me it was wrong..."

Aesop stayed silent, letting Eli speak.

"Pa always said if he found out I liked boys he would disown me and kick me out...Ma would always try telling him it didn't matter, but then he would hurt her..."

"So is he more okay for you to like girls?"

"...No, he didn't want me to date anyone. Every time I mentioned a friend he would keep pressing on whether or not we were just friends, and he questioned everything I did. I hated him I hated him I h-hated..."

Aesop looked up in surprise as he felt Eli's shoulders start trembling.

Is he- Is he crying?!

He felt Eli's hands clenching into fists on his coat and immediately ushered him into the couch. He sat down, Eli resting his head in his lap as he cried. Aesop had no idea what to do as he rubbed small circles onto Eli's back. It angered him to know that Eli's father seemed to be the sort that never gave him or his mother much affection.

As Eli's tears continued to flow down his cheeks, Aesop thought about old memories. His father and mother used to be very close with him, but soon after he could talk and walk, his mother stopped spending that much time with him. Majority of her time was spent overseas, getting paid to take down people. His father had tried his best but soon work drowned him as well and Aesop was left to the maids to take care of as both his parents worked.

"Do papa and mama hate each other..?"

"Eh?"

The maid taking care of Aesop looked over at the small child. He stared ahead blankly and asked again. She'd put down the plates and sat down beside him, speaking softly.

"Oh Aesop, your father and mother don't hate each other. It's just that they're always busy at work. One day when you have a family and kids, you'd also want to work hard for them too."

Aesop had crossed his arms and huffed.

"I don't wanna marry a girl!"

The maid had chuckled and got up to continue with the plates.

"Would you rather marry a boy?"

"Huh? You can?"

"Of course you can! There is no right or wrong to what gender you like more. It's just how people see this idea, and maybe that's why it's so misunderstood."

She looked over at Aesop. In his memory, this particular maid always wore a gentle smile on her face.

"Do you have someone you like, Aesop?"

"Do you have someone you like, Eli?"

He asked the executive absentmindedly. Eli looked up at him through teary eyes and shook his head. He got up, swiping at the corner of his eyes. Aesop had never known all this about Eli up till now. The poor male had never felt much love throughout his life. Aesop wanted so much as to snatch up Eli, hide him away somewhere and give him constant love and attention.

"Eli?"

"Mn?"

"If there's anything you ever want to talk about, you can come find me. And talk to me."

"But I don't want to bother you with my own troubles, sir."

"Nah, you won't. I'd assume nobody was ever there for you to talk to you and care for you, am I right?"

Eli nodded slowly. Indeed, as a child, his parents always taught him to be independent, and not to rely on anyone. He didn't have anyone to talk to in school since he was more focused on his studies more than socialising, and he never spent much time with his parents as his classmates had during holidays or weekends. Eventually he became used to sealing his problems away and when it toppled down on him, he would just cry it away and shove it deeper down in the dark. He refused to let them stop him, even if it would make him ill or constantly tired.

"I want to be the first one who you can rely on when you're in a bad situation. I want you to feel like you are loved, not just expected to be the best. So please, if there's anything, come find me. Can you do that, Eli?"

Eli didn't reply for a few moments, but he slowly nodded. Aesop got up and gave him a warm hug. Lost in the moment, Eli let the feeling sink in.

Is this what it felt like to have someone care for you?

He was so lost in thought, he never heard Aesop whisper something softly before he left the office.