𝟎𝟕𝟔 - 𝐬𝐨 𝐥𝐨𝐧𝐠 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐛𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠

—

WC: 15373

please, vote and comment. like. please. i cranked this out in two days

shout out to eratatouille  their poetry is #awesome

Is it a rule that once you've grieved too many times, you forget how to grieve at all? That once you lost parts of your heart so frequently, it doesn't even affect you anymore? That once you've shed a certain amount of tears over loss, you never shed a single one every again?

Aunt Colette buried her latest husband not so long ago, but she wears a bright, wide smile on her face as she greets all her guests.

It's no secret that she has never loved any of her husbands, at least not any after the first. Maybe she loved her first so much, she vowed never to love another again. Or maybe she poured so much love into him, she didn't have any left to give anyone else—not even her son. So many "maybe"s, so many theories, nothing truly explains how she manages to walk around the drawing room and laugh boisterously at every horrible joke.

Honestly, I didn't really have any plans for how I would spend my Christmas, but I wasn't hoping to partake in my aunt's party.

It's small, at least relatively to the other events she's thrown in the manor. The entire first floor is open to wandering guests that laugh and drink glasses of champagne while listening to the live music stationed in every room. Yes, small, no more than one-hundred guests. It makes me wonder why these one-hundred people didn't choose to spend the holiday with their families instead.

At least I have Blaise and Pansy.

We sit near the fireplace, chairs dragged up and close to it as we could manage without dipping our feet right into the flames. Blaise and Pansy are busy in conversation, and though I try to focus and listen in on it, I find myself growing distracted. Distracted by the fire, distracted by the way Pansy's knee bounces up and down, distracted by that man across the room who has the loudest, most horrible laugh ever.

The three of us have already exchanged our gifts. Blaise got for me a new Wizarding Chess set, except its made entirely out of glass, half the set embellished with gold, the other half embellished with black. He said something about being sure not to touch it, as he doesn't want me tearing his hair out for doing so like I did when we were younger. I couldn't manage more than a smile at that. As for Pansy, she gave me a beautiful set of gold accessories, custom-made in some far off country I've already forgotten the name of.

"You can wear them when you're presented at Court later this year," Blaise had said with an impressed lift of his brows when he had peered over my shoulder to see what Pansy and I were cooing over.