[71] Together

Demi's P.O.V.

Applause rained around me as I sat down in the chair after hugging Ellen DeGeneres. The bright lights burned my skin, and I felt myself turning red from the heat and the anxiety. I kept thinking about Ansley, who was standing about fifty feet away from me on the side of the stage behind Ellen and her camera crew. Ansley smiled at me and took a deep breath to tell me to relax.

"Wow, it's been a while since you were here last. So much has happened! How've you been?" Ellen asked as she sat down as well.

I forced a smile. "I've been good! Really good! I released an album, and I've got a documentary that just came out a couple weeks ago!" I needed to occupy myself with this topic.

"And boy, are both of those projects amazing! I've listened to your album several times, and I watched your documentary twice already. One of my favorite songs is Only Forever, which was wonderful to watch you record in the documentary. Can you tell me about that song and about your overall inspiration for songs on this album?" she asked.

A lot of fans in the audience cheered a little, which reminded me that this was an interview and not a private conversation. "Fun fact: Only Forever and Ruin the Friendship are both about the same person, which kind of shows the two ways I can feel about one person: craving something immediately and also knowing I can continue to wait forever." I instantly regretted saying this. "But yeah, they're just about having this person that you love and trust and admire so much that you'd do anything for them and to be with them, no matter how long it takes."

"And who is that person?" she asked, making me freeze. "Wilmer? Nick Jonas? Oh, I bet it's him! You toured with him, right? A couple years back?"

"I did tour with him, but no, those songs aren't about either of them. And to be quite frank here, I've kind of got this thing where I don't tell people who my songs are about. I just don't talk about it. Not to friends, not to songwriters, not to anyone, really. Songs are up for individual interpretation, you know? I'm not going to confirm or deny anything," I told her, feeling frustrated with how people constantly wanted more information about songs. None of these people needed to know that I wrote these songs about Ansley. Hell, Ansley didn't even know that.

Ellen nodded. "I completely understand that, and I respect your privacy."

"Thank you."

"But were they about Ansley Brooks?"

My skin went ice cold with red-hot sweat freezing on the surface, and I forced a smile, still filling the silence between us as the audience cheered. Behind Ellen, I could see a look of confusion on Ansley's face as she pieced this information together. I eventually captured control over myself again and shook my head – though it was probably too late for anyone to believe me.

"I cannot confirm or deny any theories. Your theories are your own. Doesn't always make it true or false, but everyone is entitled to their own opinions," I stated, trying to remain polite and professional in this moment of panic.

Beside Ansley, my publicist gave me a thumbs up. I sighed with relief.

Ellen finally dropped the topic after that and moved on to my documentary, which I was very nervous about since Ansley starred in it, and I didn't want her to feel pressured or nervous, even though she was off camera. Luckily, the remainder of the interview was smooth sailing.

When the interview was over, Ansley and I went back to my place, both of us completely silent on the drive. I quickly went up to my room to take off my clothes and makeup, and I found Ansley again on the back porch, a cup of coffee in her hands. Approaching her slowly, I carefully wrapped my arms around her waist from behind, looking out at the view with her. Something was wrong. She was upset, and I couldn't understand why. Thankfully, she quickly answered my nonverbal question.