[102] Aftershock

Ansley's P.O.V.

Everyone left the room, and I held Demi's hand in mine, nervous about what she would say. It felt oddly comforting being alone with her, not worrying about what her family thought or how they ranked our relationship on the scale of importance to be taken care of.

I had to keep reminding myself that there wasn't a relationship anymore. Not really, anyway. She was going through something, and I left her for it. And here I was, contemplating if I should be honest or not, despite Dianna's wishes.

"I love you," I finally said, breaking the silence.

She teared up now. Her free hand covered her face as she cried. It was strange seeing her face with emotion after its blankness from the past day. "I love you, too."

I began crying again now, somehow mustering up even more tears after a full twenty-four hours of nonstop sobbing. Somehow, I think I heart her heart break.

She released my hand to reach up and place her palm against my cheek, thumb drying my face. "Why are you crying?" she asked.

"Because I thought I'd never get to say that to you again," I told her, blubbering now.

"Really? I'm okay..." she said, taking my hand in hers.

With a deep breath, I replied, "You almost weren't. You were in really bad shape yesterday, and we were all so terrified."

She looked away for a moment, biting her lip in emotional pain. She seemed like she felt guilty. "How's everyone taking it?"

"We'll all be okay. Don't worry about anyone else but you," I assured her.

She nodded. "What's Wilmer doing here?"

I chuckled at that. "That's what I've been trying to figure out. He must've seen the news and came in. Do you want me to send him home?"

She shrugged. "I don't want him here, but I still want you with me. You can kick him out later." Though she sounded playful, she was firm on this. She meant it. And something in her eyes was so dark.

"Do you remember anything?" I asked after a quiet moment.

She shrugged again, almost like she didn't even want to think about it. "Not really. Everything's a blur. And I don't know what's real or not. I don't even know if this is real. Like, am I still dreaming?"

"This is real. I'm here. I'm really here."

She laughed. "That's exactly what you'd say in a dream, too." She paused before continuing. "I hate that this happened. I keep thinking if I close my eyes really tight, I'll sleep and wake up at home, and everything will be fine. But at the same time, this is the first I've seen you in months, and I don't want to wake up and find that you're gone."

I wanted to let the words roll out of my mouth like dice. The I love you's and the profession of undying infatuation and devotion. I also had to restrain myself from the kisses I wanted to share. But I bit my tongue. I reserved myself. I remained in my seat and smiled at her the way I would smile at a friend – because that's all she was, really. At least in this moment, that's all she could be.

"Anyway, um... do I look okay?" she asked, glancing down at herself.

I giggled softly. "I'm sorry – what?"

"Do I look okay? Everyone's been staring at me since yesterday, and I haven't even seen a mirror. And with my eyesight, I wouldn't be able to tell anyway if I did have a mirror."

"You're absolutely beautiful," I told her.

She forced a small smile.

"So... you can see much at all?" I asked.