[13] Equality

Sorry it took so long guys! This chapter isn't all that exciting. But I hope y'all like it anyway!

Demi's P.O.V.

"You sure you don't like her?" Marissa asked.

"Yes, I'm sure," I leaned back in my seat, focusing my eyes on the road as the sky turned a blue, almost indigo. "I mean, sure she's beautiful and smart and funny and strong and talented and kind and understanding and..."

Holy shit! Did I like her? No!

Marissa rose and eyebrow at me and I rolled my eyes.

"Boyfriend or no boyfriend, you like her, Dems. You say you love Wilmer, but do you really?" She looked over at me but I didn't make eye contact with her.

I didn't have to say anything. She already knew. I looked down and shook my head. She nodded and focused back on the road.

"I knew," she replied after a minute.

"How?"

"Oh, come on, Demi! I'm not stupid! You don't seem as lively with him. I can tell you try to be, though, but nobody else sees it, and I can't figure out how they could be so blind to this. Yes, you're good at hiding it, but for real. Four and a half years, Demi. Honestly, I don't know how you did it," her expression was tighter now, almost pissed.

I didn't know how to respond to that, so I stayed silent. She sighed.

"Either you like her or you don't. Simple question," she said sternly.

"Maybe. I mean, I only met her twenty-four hours ago. How should I know? I've only ever liked a girl once before, and I was on drugs at that time. I don't want to like her, though-"

"What? Why not? You'll be free of Wilmer if you get together," Marissa pointed out.

"I'm dating Wilmer to make my dad happy!" I shouted.

"Why?"

"My dad did everything in his power to make me happy and now it's my turn to make him happy," I replied more calmly. "I can't break up with Wilmer, and I've even tried to make him break up with me. That's part of the reason I was on drugs in 2012 and had that eating disorder back in 2013, to get rid of him. And he wouldn't fucking leave me! It's impossible!"

"Unless you cheated on him. That would surely get him gone," Marissa suggested.

"I can't do that. Do you know how much hate I'd get for cheating on my supposedly perfect boyfriend?" I asked in an obvious tone.

"Better than marrying the guy!" she yelled back.

True. Fucking true. Was it?

"What if people are at my throats for it?" I asked.

"Yeah because you two are so open with your relationship," Marissa shook he head. "He doesn't really have many fans and I'm sure more people don't ship Dilmer than people who do. Most will applaud you."

"Yeah and then tell me to go with Nick," I rolled my eyes.

"Hey, y'all make a cute couple!" She giggled.

"He's like a brother to me, Riss. That would be weird."

"I don't think he thinks of you as a sister, personally."

"He's dating Olivia for damn sake!" I yelled louder than I planned.

"Is that the only only thing holding you back? His girlfriend?"

"No! He's like a brother! That would be weird. His girlfriend is just a side problem. Plus, I don't even like him that way."

"Whatever. We're not talking about Nick now. It's you and Ansley. You either like her or you don't," she said plainly.