[20] Happy Birthday Demi (part 1)

Ansley's P.O.V.

After I asked Demi what she wanted for her birthday, I asked Ms. Patrick what she was getting for Demi, because I had no ideas. What do you buy a person who has everything? Especially someone you just met?

I left Jacob at the house to finish his homework as I shopped for Demi, ending on a really pretty necklace that costed a lot, but was on sale for a price I could afford. It had a heart on it and a few designs that I hoped she'd like.

That night ended like any other: tell Jacob goodnight and rush to work. It was a usual, boring routine, I could do it in my sleep.

"So," Bailey walked in my direction as I sorted candles onto shelves from boxes at the store. "How's it going with Demi? Y'all hooked up yet?"

"What? No!" I spun to her with a blue berry scented candle in my hand. "Bailey, she's straight, and I'm pretty sure she doesn't like me that way. Plus, she has that boyfriend, Wilmer, who treats her beyond perfectly."

"Boyfriend?" she chuckled. "You mean that guy who does the voice of Handy Manny and bought all that shit that she obviously wasn't expecting? Yep, total boyfriend."

"Chill out, Stupid Cupid. Put your bow and heart shaped arrow down. It's not like that. They actually like each other," I looked back to the shelf as I stacked the last candle on it, then rolled the small cart away, leaving Bailey behind me.

Demi's P.O.V.

"Ahhh!" I screamed as I shook beside Wilmer on the bed.

"Hermosa, what happened? Are you okay? It was just a dream, nena," he sat straight up and looked down at me, softly brushing my cheek with his finger to calm me down.

"J-just a nightmare," I mumbled.

"Come here, love," he pulled me up to his chest and I leaned my head on his shoulder, which was still warm and bare from a few hours before. "What happened in the nightmare?"

Fuck. I had to think up a quick lie. It was actually about Ansley getting abused by her dad, but I couldn't let Wilmer know I dreamt of her.

"You got shot," I muttered.

"It's going to be okay, sweetheart, I promise. I'm not going anywhere. I'm never leaving you, I promise," he stroked my hair and rocked me slightly as he kissed my forehead.

"Thank you, Wilmer," I whispered against his muscular shoulder.

I clung to his body as I shivered, cold since I was naked. Sometimes, he truly did make me feel better in a dark situation.

"It's your birthday," he smiled against my hair. "Twenty-two years old. Holy shit. You're growing up so fast."

I smiled and pulled away, holding the sheets to my chest. He smiled back and poked my nose lightly.

"I love you," he laid back down.

"I love you, too," I laid down beside him.

I didn't mean it, but as long as he thought I did, we were okay. Occasionally, I felt like I meant it, but that wasn't very often. It was complicated and quite difficult to pretend for so long, but I had no choice.

Suddenly, my phone rang on the dresser. I turned over and picked it up as it buzzed in my hand.

"Management," I groaned as I threw myself out of bed and stepped into the hallway, shivering in the cold. "Hello?"

"Good morning, Demi. I didn't wake you up did I?" my manager asked.

"It's five AM. Why are you up?" I asked groggily.