[31] Expect the Unexpected

Ansley's P.O.V.

"What the fuck are you doing here?" I asked in disgust.

"I came to drop of Jacob and Drew," Demi stood in the doorway.

I placed my hands on the doorframe and leaned into the hallway, looking both ways and finding it empty as the hot August wind blew.

"Really? Because I'm not seeing my brother anywhere," I straightened up and crossed my arms.

"Oh, that's because they're in Drew's apartment working on homework. They gave me alone time with you," she rocked back and forth on her feet.

"Well, I'd like to avoid time with you as much as possible," I growled as I shut the door.

She stopped the door with her hand. "I came to apologize."

Very slowly, I opened the door and leaned against it. "Apologize?"

"Yeah. It's kind of what you do when you've made a mistake," she shifted feet and intertwined her fingers in front of her.

"You don't want to apologize, you want to be forgiven," I sneered.

"I just want to apologize. Please," she begged as she stepped closer, causing me to stumble back.

"Why did you do it? Why did you fucking lie?"

"Because I...I don't know!" she threw her hands up in frustration.

"You know more than me," I pointed out obviously. "You know all these things about you and about me, and I know nothing! I don't know who I am and I certainly don't know who you are."

"Did ever occur to you to ask?"

"Hey!" a man opened his door across the hall. "Take it inside."

"Sorry, sir, we're done," I apologized.

"I don't think we are," Demi crossed her arms. "Let's go inside and let the man have some peace."

"No way, are you..." he pointed to her.

"Nope," she quickly looked away.

Demi stepped closer and I stepped back, letting her in, and slammed the door behind her. She jumped at the bang sound it made and I closed my eyes, counting to ten.

One, two, three, four...

"You've been avoiding me."

Five, six, seven...

"You wouldn't even let Jacob come over."

Restart. One, two, three, four, five...

"Opened your eyes and talk to me, Ansley!"

"Stop it!" I fired back.

"Stop what? Talking to you? I'm sorry that I haven't talked to you since Sunday and you've been avoiding me and not answering my texts and-"

"Text. It was one text," I opened my eyes and huffed.

"Fine. Text. I apologized and you didn't answer."

"You apologized in a fucking text and you expect me to forgive you? It doesn't work that way. I know you're used to the distance and people forgiving you over the phone because that's the only way you can do it, but I'm not and that won't happen with us," I stomped into my room and slammed the door behind me, locking it.

"Ans..." I heard her footsteps approach the door and her hand jiggled the handle.

"Don't call me that. Get the fuck out of my apartment," I leaned against the door.