[27] Poor Versus the Rich

Ansley's P.O.V.

Derek told me to follow him and Demi followed me to his office, where she sat on a metal bench outside of it to wait while I stepped into his office with shaky hands. He motioned to a seat opposite his chair which hid behind his mahogany desk and I sat in it as he sat in his. With his hands folded on the desk, he gave me a long look.

"Miss Brooks, I'd watched you all week and I've noticed that you've been quite sociable lately, between talking to this girl, a boy, and a man. I don't feel you're working your hardest anymore. Also, we've had a staffing problem with the company budget."

"Meaning...?" I rose an eyebrow.

"Since we must release a few people, and you aren't working to your fullest anymore, I'm afraid I'm going to have to let you go," he straightened papers on his desk and cleared his throat as he looked up at me.

"Sir..."

"Collect you're things, Miss Brooks," he said sternly.

"I... Yes sir," my heart sank as I stood up from the chair and slowly left the office.

Once I stepped outside of the office, I was instantly greeted by Demi, who stood from the gray metal bench with a concerned look. I stared at the floor in shock.

"What happened?" she asked with a hand on my arm.

I shook my head. "He...he fired me," I almost broke down in front of her, but I couldn't. I wouldn't.

"Ansley..." she pulled me into a tight hug and rubbed my back. "You don't need him. You're good on your own. It's his loss."

"No," I mumbled as my eyes teared. "It's my loss. How am I going to take care of Jacob?"

Demi pulled away from me and grabbed her checkbook out of her purse, and I immediately shook my head.

"Demi, no. I'm not taking your money."

She looked up from her checkbook at me. "You need the money and I have plenty I can give you."

I was so poor.

"This financial shit is stressing you out. You're not alone. I said I was going to help you and I am. I'll be right back," she dropped her checkbook into her purse and spun away from me, starting towards a register that Bailey was at, checking out a man's items. Bailey and I shared the same work schedule.

"Demi, what are you doing? I'm not letting you do that!" I grabbed her arm, turning her to face me.

"Why not?" she crossed her arms.

"Because you're my friend and you shouldn't be giving me money. I appreciate it, but I'm not letting you do that."

"I'm doing it because I'm your friend and I care about you and your brother. Friends help each other. I'm helping you," she pulled out of my grip and jogged to the line at Bailey's register.

I rolled my eyes and stood behind her in line. A cart rolled up behind us and of course it was Hayden's.

"Daddy, look! It's the pretty girls again!" Addison squealed as she pointed to us.

Demi giggled and we both blushed. The man in front of us finished checking out and then it was our turn. Demi grabbed a Kit Kat out of one of the small cardboard containers and put it on the conveyer belt. Bailey looked at me. I hated that we would no longer be our own version of the "Check-It-Out Girls".

"Hey, Ansley. Oh my god, you're..." she stared at Demi for a seconds and she giggled. "Are you crying, Anna?"

"Derek fired me," I looked down. "But I don't care."