[100] Without a Fight

Ansley's P.O.V.

"Does... does Ansley know? Has anyone told her? I want her to know I'm okay," she stated as she mustered enough strength to sit upright a little.

Everyone looked at me and then at Dianna, who answered, "She's here."

She really thought of me. As soon as she woke up. There was almost fear in her voice, though, like she was afraid of me knowing about this.

"Can she come here? I want to talk to her," Demi said before the neurologist approached the bed.

"We've actually got some tests to run to figure out your vision problem, Demi. Could everyone step out and give me some room?" He asked.

Everyone collectively exited the room as the doctor shone a light in Demi's eyes. I leaned against the wall across the hall from Demi's door, my hands on my hips as I took deep breaths. Matthew rubbed my back in comfort, and Dianna looked at me sympathetically. Dallas glared at me, and Madison hit her in the arm.

A few moments later, the doctor emerged from the room, tablet in hand as he looked over Demi's electronic chart. "Okay, so, in layman's terms, as I look at her brain scans from earlier, I see that there is some minor damage to her vision from the fact that she had a stroke, probably before she was even found. However, I'm not sure if it's enough to cause issues this severe, so I'm hoping that this is just temporary. We're going to run a few more tests, but as of right now, Demi is legally blind. I know this doesn't sound great, but right now we need to be grateful she's made it this far." He continued on towards a nurse's station.

Some machinery was rolled into Demi's room after that to conduct her other tests. I began walking towards a window at the end of the corridor, panicking. Matthew followed me and continued to rub my back again once we reached the window. Every time I thought I was out of tears, more came. As Matthew was hugging me, I got a phone call.

"Hey, Ansley. It's Brantley. I just saw the news. How are you? Are you okay?" Brantley asked into the phone, genuine concern in his voice.

I sniffled, separating from Matthew with my phone to my ear. I couldn't even pretend that I wasn't falling apart. "It's so awful, Brantley," I cried.

He took a deep breath. "I can only imagine. Is she hanging in there? Do you know?"

I nodded. "She is, but it's been touch and go all day."

"You're with her?"

"Yeah. I came in with her. I'm the one that found her." Immediate sobbing.

"My God, Ansley. I'm so... so sorry. That's so terrible. What can I do to help alleviate some stress off your plate right now?" he pondered sincerely.

I looked out the window at the parking lot, at how many people were continuing on with their lives whilst mine was falling apart. "I really can't handle an album release right now, Brantley."

"What do you mean? It's three days away."

"I know. But is there any way we can postpone the release?"

"Ansley..."

"I just don't see how it's good for me or the label to be putting the music out there when I'm gonna be here," I explained.

He sighed. "I understand what you're saying. I really do, and I wish so badly that I could do that for you. But the CD's have already been sent out, and there's just so much riding on this album being released this Friday. It's not possible for me to delay that, but it is possible for me to delay some of the promo stuff we had you down for."