[101] Hope Is a Scary Thing

Ansley's P.O.V.

Everyone was just as shocked as I was about Maddie suggesting I stay the night with Dianna. Eddie grew tense, which made me shift uncomfortably as everyone looked at me.

I was reminded of the feeling of the first time I ever went over to Demi's house. I was a fish out of water, capturing the gazes of people that questioned my presence. Imposter syndrome forced me even deeper into my chair, wishing the cushions could absorb me.

"Look, guys, let's be honest. There isn't a person on this planet that Demi loves more than Ansley. We all deserve to be here with her, but let's think about who Demi would want at her side," Maddie explained, defending me in such a way that turned my cheeks red.

"She's my daughter. I should be here. Ansley isn't even Demi's girlfriend anymore," Eddie stated angrily.

Dianna sighed. "He makes a good point."

Surprisingly, Matthew spoke now. "Why does it matter that they broke up? They're still in love. Every time I've been around Demi since the breakup, all she does is talk about how much she loves and misses Ansley. She should be here."

Wilmer cut his eyes at me, a glare so rotten and sickening as he started for the door. He knew he wasn't welcome here anymore.

"How about this: everyone should stay in the hotel across the street, yeah?" Max proposed. "Dianna and Ansley stay here, and the rest of us stay in the hotel, so we can be here quickly in case anything happens."

"You think something will happen?" Dallas questioned.

Max took a deep breath. "It's impossible for us to know. But at least then we would be close by. Let's not be selfish in thinking we deserve to be here more than someone else. We need to consider what Demi would want. And considering one of the last things she said was that she wanted to talk to Ansley... Seems like a no-brainer to me."

Eddie mumbled something aggressively under his breath before saying, "I'm not selfish for wanting to be around my kid. But fine. We will stay in a hotel and hope that nothing happens. Come on. Let's go."

Everyone took turns kissing Demi's forehead and whispering brief "goodnights" and "see you tomorrows" before exiting the room. Some orderlies brought in cots and provided sheets, pillows, and a toothbrush with toothpaste. Thankfully, there was a restroom attached to Demi's room, so Dianna and I were both able to get ready for the night in there.

As I stood in the bathroom, brushing my teeth, I couldn't prevent myself from staring at my reflection. My face remained puffy, and my eyes glowed a bloodshot red, and I was almost certain I could see my pulse in my forehead. A migraine was manifesting, and my thoughts were making it worse. I was developing a panic attack. I tried to ground myself.

I am safe. I am secure. I am loved.

No – perhaps I'm not.

No. I'm okay. I'm in the safest place in the world.

But I'm in a hospital. I'm in a hospital because the love of my life almost died.

She's sick. Mentally, physically. The doctors barely brought her back. She was dangerously close to death.

Relax. Feel the ground through your shoes, Ansley. This ground is so cold, even through the soles of my shoes. Hospitals are always cold.

Yeah, I'm in a hospital still.

Her mother is on the other side of the door. She's probably crying. She's been trying to hold it together all day, but I know this is probably even harder on her than it is on me.