Chapter 31 - Birthday

Kagome's Point of View

"Okay, everyone understands, yes?" I asked my team, and all of them nodded.

My team and another team led by Kankuro have been selected to find and locate Kabuto. Word got out that Orochimaru is now dead. Who killed him? Isn't it obvious? Uchiha Sasuke. Not only him, (y/n) stated in her last letter that he'd finally killed his older brother. Even though Orochimaru is down and Sasuke may be in the process of being officially wanted criminal, Kabuto is out there with the possibility of bringing Orochimaru back to life or continuing his work. That was when Gaara and the council members decided to catch him at any cost. Our first theory is to locate the old hideouts to see if he's there rather than being destroyed or not. This hideout that we're at right now is where (y/n) said she and her team reunited with Sasuke. From where I stand, I only see the huge crumbled hole. Betting, that's where they all fought. I look at Tera, who specializes in earth and puppets.

"Tera, see if anyone is still there," I order her.

"Yes, ma'am," Tera said to me.

In case you didn't know, I'm not leading an Anbu team this time. I'm leading Uncle Baki's team. He is busy with meetings, leading another team, and so are other Jounins. So he and even Gaara agreed to let me lead one of his teams. I didn't like it at first because I never saw myself being someone's Sensei for the day. I only lead some Anbu missions and follow orders, and that's it. But at least they're taking it seriously for new Chunins. However, here's the bigger problem which you're going to hate. The three members are the kids who had tried to kill me for killing their daddies. Read chapter 2 on how I killed them and chapter 23 on how I met their kids.

Tera did some hand signs to summon her small puppets. They dig underground, and she closed her eyes to see and sense anyone. She opens her eyes, "There's no one there."

"Does that mean we go back or go in?" Dan asks.

"Of course not! We go in! Why bother to ask?" Tera shouts at him.

"She's right, Dan," I said to him. "All three of you are Chunins now, meaning you three should know what our mission is-"

"Locate Kabuto and catch him," Riku cuts me off with an attitude. "But he's not here, so we should leave."

"You're right and wrong," I said to him. "We also need to search around for any traces that may have seemed fresh. As well as a map of other hideouts for us and the Leaf to search for."

"We in there?" Dan asks again.

"Yes," I answer. "You're not Genins anymore, which means we need to grab all the information we can gather. Understand?"

The two nod while Riku just ignores me, but I choose not to care. I understand he still feels nothing but hatred toward me, and the others probably feel the same as well. They clearly showed how I had changed their lives at a young age. However, only Tera and Dan can deal with me being their leader for a day and won't let their emotions get in the way of it, but Riku still couldn't let it go. I couldn't let it go even though their daddies were jerks to me. They were still their families, and I took them away.

"Okay," I said to them. "Tera, make a hole to get in."

"Can't we go in from the huge hole there?" Dan asks again, which is a good question.

"Orochimaru is known to have many traps that are still active after abandoning his hideouts. However, it doesn't stop him, as well as Kabuto, to make more. Besides, if Kabuto were here, he would expect us to come in through there," I answer his question and look at Tera.

Tera used her puppets to dig a hole. After that, we jumped down, and we were inside. I look around at what I can see. It's too dark that only our light from the hole we made is what we can only. The melted and dried-up candle wax with no flames proves nobody came here, but most likely, Kabuto wouldn't bother to light them all up. He would probably need one. I pulled out my flashlights while the others did the way.