Chapter 11 - A New Start

Weeks After the Chunin Exams

A lot happened since The Sand retreated to the Sand Village. We all soon realized we've been tricked by the Sound Village's leader who is Orochimaru. He was using us to help him attack the Leaf Village and murdered their Kage. We later found out that our Kazekage wasn't even in the Leaf Village during the Chunin Exams. He wasn't physically around for almost two months before the mission was given. Orochimaru had murdered him and disguised himself as him. Filling our minds with hatred towards the Leaf and toying with us as if we were his puppets.

I couldn't stop remembering the sight of the Kazekage's dead body when I was ordered to search for his body with my fellow Anbu members. Especially, the face Temari made when I told her and her brothers about their daddy. Her face was sad while Kankuro was full of rage. Gaara, on the other hand, was emotionless as usual. I understand his situation since he did say his father wanted him dead. If he's not upset about it, it's fine. However, I couldn't tell since he wasn't facing me. The funeral was the last time I had seen them.

After more weeks went by, the Sand Village hasn't been the same due to not having a new Kazekage. The council members wanted to keep quiet about who will be the next Kazekage. Yet they failed to run the village by themselves. My Uncle Baki, who is also a member of the council, wouldn't tell me, but I know it'll be one of the Kazekage's children. As well as assuming they're taking so long to decide because they want a non-bloodline to be next. A lot of Jounins have been lazy even with missions they were given which made the Anbu Black Ops. do their jobs since we're still committed.

It saddens me that I barely get a day off which never once bothered me, but now it does. Since (y/n) saved me, I've been trying to be the new Kagome. The one who won't wear and hide behind two masks. The one who will be happy for real this time. The one who will try to be friends with people. Which isn't working in the Anbu life. I didn't realize until now how moody half the people are. I did try to talk to them, but when they mentioned Gaara and hated him, I ended up fighting them. Leader Ash kept breaking it, but at least I'm talking to him a little more. He doesn't seem to mind. I even work things out with Uncle Baki a little. We still didn't talk. The past more specifically, but it's progress. I'm even running into Uncle Baki at home who slept in the living room as if he is waiting for me to return home after my missions.

Oh, did I mention how Gaara is doing? Well, too bad because I don't know. Again, I haven't seen nor talked to the siblings since the funeral. I thought I would give them space to take in the pain, but then I kept getting a lot of missions. I've been busy that I started coming home around three in the morning. I wanted to see them, but mostly Gaara. The fight he had with Naruto seemed to change him. He was less cold when we treated his wounds. He even apologized to Temari and Kankuro for the actions he had done. Even to me.

'Temari... Kankuro... Kagome... I'm sorry...'

His voice still repeats in my head every time I return to the village and walk home at night. Once again, I return around three in the morning for a month and a half now. No villagers in sight nor drunken Jounins which calms me.

'Kagome... I'm sorry...'

The way he'd said my name for the first time still gives me chills and pain in my chest for missing him. As well as wanting to hear his voice. I close my eyes as my mind remembers what his face looks like. As much as I want to hold the memory, I don't want it to make me go crazy.

"Kagome..."

"Ahhh! Why can't I stop hearing his voice!" I mumble to myself while hitting my head.

"Pardon?" I hear a voice to who I know it belongs and realized it's not from my head. I turn around to see his face. Gaara's face.