Chapter 12 - The Next Kazekage

Days Later - Kagome's Point of View

I woke up after getting what felt like a ten-minute nap, but it was only three to four hours. That night, after Gaara had treated my knee and finally, officially, became friends with me, he kindly walked me home. I even noticed Uncle Baki passed out on the couch, but I ignored it. He probably overworked himself. Anyways, since Gaara and I became friends, I've been seeing him every night after my mission and having had small conversations with him. I enjoyed every second of it, and I even saw his tiny smile. I smile every time I see it.

I walk to the Anbu Black Ops. Headquarters like I do every morning. Here, we would check in first and go to our lockers to dress in our uniforms and gear. I always wear my uniform at home along with my gear, so I'll be the first to be ready. Those who aren't on a mission yet or are currently waiting for other missions, they would be mostly found in the training room or cafeteria. After I checked in, I didn't receive any missions for today yet. So, I decided to go to the cafeteria instead of training for once. It's better than watching the advance Anbu members beat up the lower ones. Or even the advanced ones tried to challenge me.

Once I was there and sat at my spot, I pulled out a book and pen. I thought I would start writing to (y/n) about my day and missions since we're friends. She replied to my recent letter sooner than I thought. She told me about how her birthday went, which was so crazy. I couldn't decide what to tell her since I got it last week. I want to tell her about Gaara and me becoming friends and hope we'll be more. I can't let my happy side jinx me if he stops talking with me again. Or if I did something to betray him.

'Either you can help Lord Orochimaru grab Uchiha Sasuke and take him alive to one of our hideouts or... You grab Gaara for either my Lord or another man who also really wants that beast spirit that's inside him. Either way, you will join us as a rogue ninja and give your loyalty to my lord. The book and meeting will be yours if you do so correctly...'

The memory of Kabuto's words made its way to haunt me. A regret to not take him down or regret not to take his deal in something I still don't know. If I took the deal, I could've met the other Kaguya member, and he could show me moves I don't know. More importantly, learn to control it well enough. The book can show me their history. I could've taken it if I had stopped Sasuke in his tracks and poisoned him. Sadly, I would need him alive, or the deal would be broken. Gaara, on the other hand, would be hard to kill or keep alive. Mostly because I don't want to kill or lose him. My other regret of not taking down Kabuto was larger. I could've forced him to answer why Orchoimaru wants Sasuke. Why did he send out a child to attack me and try to force me to join him? As well as this "another man" who wanted Gaara and the beast inside him. Could there be a group that wants all-tailed beast spirits?

"Hey there, Kagome," I hear my leader's voice, who had broken my thoughts.

"Oh, hello, Leader Ash!" I said happily.

"Now, now, I kept telling you to call me by my first name. Which is Ash, in case you forgot," Leader Ash said and sat down next to me.

"Sorry, Leader Ash," I said, laughing a little.

"Who are you writing to? Finally got a boyfriend?" He asked me, which made me put away my book.

"No! It's for my friend!" I panic. Hearing him say "boyfriend" made me want to panic and hide. I finally calm down in seconds. "What brings you here?"

"Our mission," He drops a folder on the table. "Five more Jounins abandoned their given missions again, but you and I are taking only one mission."

"Why one?"

Leader Ash opens the folder and pulls out a paper to give to me. "This relates to the council and the Genin team you were assigned to. They're going to discuss the next Kagekage which they want right away. Picking out some eligible ninjas who are not blood-related is perfect for the job. Then, send it out to our Feudal Lord to decide."