Chapter 38 - Marriage?

Years Later - Kagome's Point of View

"DAMN IT!! YOU IDIOTS!!" The criminal shout at his partners as they are tied up together and hanging up side down in my trap.

"How should I know she uses wires as her jutsu!!" One of his partners said. "And that boy she's with was an Anbu of the Hidden Sand!!!"

"The three of you men will be put in maximum prison," I tell them. "Be happy it's not death. As of yet."

"There's no way we're going to prison!!" Another one said.

The three criminals complain more while trying to break free from my thin wires. Sadly, that only makes it tighter, but not like I'll tell them at this point. I pull out a puncture nail and through it at one of their necks. The other Anbus did the same to the other two criminals. Finally, the annoying noises from their mouths have ended as they are put to sleep. I drop the criminals down on the ground. Next, I made my wires untie them and tie them up indivisibly. The three Anbu men grab hold of the criminals, then drag and carry them up. Taking them to prison. Before I join them, I notice the new Anbu member hasn't moved where he stands.

"Are you alright, Riku?" I ask him while taking off my mask.

"I'm fine... Really..." He answers, but I know it's a lie.

"Then take off your mask," I order him.

"B-But we're still on a mission-"

"And I ordered you to take it off. Now."

Riku flinch a little and slowly takes off his mask. Revealing his red eyes and slightly running nose. He rubs his nose and eyes with his sleeve, not looking at me. I'm not going to lie that I haven't been monitoring him for a year now. I can tell he's having a tough time getting used to his new life. He was able to complete a mission that involved killing our targets. However, he's been avoiding stuff. Most likely memories of the war he and his team were in and the aftermath. I guess he finally broke.

"Listen, I know it must be a relief you don't need to kill-"

"It's not that, Kagome Sensei," Riku cuts me off. "It's just... When I was with them, it felt like I was with my friends again..."

I look at Riku with an understanding expression. Tera, her twin sister, and Dan died in the war. They were great young Chunins with the passion to protect our world from Madera. Riku was the only one in his team to live. Yet, he took it hard after the war was done. He locked himself in his home like he deserves to be alone without a family and friends. When I came back, I came to visit him. Well, slammed his door down. I still remember the look he gave me when he saw and cried happily to know I'm still alive. Gaara must've told him about the condition I was in, and Riku took it as a slow death. I later on requested that Riku join the Anbu under my watch and care since he can't live in a shell forever.

"Besides robbing the rich. We were playing games, told jokes, and enjoyed  every moment," Riku continues. "I haven't felt happy in a long time that I didn't want it to end..."

I walk towards him and pull him in a hug, "I know exactly how you feel," I said to him. "I didn't want it to ever end."

"Howardtwomacktitas..." I hear him muffle on my shirt, but I couldn't understand.

"Opps, sorry. What was that?" I release him so I can hear his question clearly.

"How did you make it last?" He asks me.

"I meet new people who become my friends. I ignore the fears of losing them and myself. Not let my past hunt or hurt me no more. And I enjoy every moment I can. Nothing can ever stop you from finding your happiness." I give him my answer, and we both smile. "C'mon, let's go home."